Register to reply

Spivak Calc on Manifolds, p.85

by zhentil
Tags: calc, manifolds, spivak
Share this thread:
zhentil
Jan12-08, 10:30 AM
P: 491
Please forgive any stupid mistakes I've made.

On p.85, 4-5:

If [tex]c: [0,1] \rightarrow (R^n)^n [/tex] is continous and each [tex](c^1(t),c^2(t),...,c^n(t)) [/tex] is a basis for [tex] R^n [/tex], prove that
[tex]|c^1(0),...,c^n(0)| = |c^1(1),...,c^n(1)| [/tex].

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but doesn't [tex] c(t) = ((1+t,0),(0,1+t)) [/tex] provide a counterexample to the statement when n=2?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
mathwonk
Jan12-08, 12:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
have you read the section preceding the problem, specifically the definition of the notation [v1,...vn]? the bracket notation refers to the orientation defined by the basis. so the problem is to prove that a continuously varying basis cannot change orientation. this is easy since the determinant cannot change sign without being zero in between.

you have misrepresented the bracket notation as absolute value, at least according to my copy of spivak.
zhentil
Jan12-08, 01:00 PM
P: 491
I see. I have a (poor) photocopy of this section, and I can't distinguish between absolute value and the brackets you mentioned. Thank you for clarifying.

mathwonk
Jan13-08, 09:50 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
Spivak Calc on Manifolds, p.85

i suggest you buy one. then the author makes a few bucks, or maybe a nickel, i believe he told me once.
Mystic998
Jan14-08, 06:22 PM
P: 206
Spivak most definitely deserves some of your money. Possibly most of it.

Register to reply