Register to reply

Geomagnetic field demonstration

by GTdan
Tags: demonstration, field, geomagnetic
Share this thread:
GTdan
Apr20-04, 09:48 AM
P: 70
For physics, I had to write a report and show a demonstration on the magnetic field of the Earth. I already turned in the report and I have an idea about showing the field. I was thinking of sticking a strong magnet inside a rubber globe of the Earth and then putting paperclips on different parts of the globe. The magnetic field would cause the clips to point in a certain direction depending on where I place it. Does this sound like an ok demonstration? Is there a better way of showing the m-field of the Earth?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
kuengb
Apr20-04, 11:29 AM
P: 117
I think this won't work; you would at least have to use compass needles to see the effect, but I guess it's nearly impossible to pin them onto a globe. But you could use a real compass which you would then place at different places (..."place at different places"? Excuse my small vocabulary ) of the globe surface. BUT: I don't know how close to the magnet you would have to go with the compass, or how strong your magnet would have to be, I advise you to just try it!
GTdan
Apr21-04, 06:30 PM
P: 70
well, I need a REAL STRONG magnet. I haven't found any regular magnets that work so I will have to go looking around the physics dept in school to see if I can borrow one... ;)

Register to reply