Geomagnetic field demonstration

by GTdan
Tags: demonstration, field, geomagnetic
GTdan
Apr20-04, 09:48 AM
P: 70
For physics, I had to write a report and show a demonstration on the magnetic field of the Earth. I already turned in the report and I have an idea about showing the field. I was thinking of sticking a strong magnet inside a rubber globe of the Earth and then putting paperclips on different parts of the globe. The magnetic field would cause the clips to point in a certain direction depending on where I place it. Does this sound like an ok demonstration? Is there a better way of showing the m-field of the Earth?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists pinpoint when harmless bacteria became flesh-eating monsters
Asian air pollution affect Pacific Ocean storms
Rocket leak delays space station delivery launch (Update)
kuengb
Apr20-04, 11:29 AM
P: 117
I think this won't work; you would at least have to use compass needles to see the effect, but I guess it's nearly impossible to pin them onto a globe. But you could use a real compass which you would then place at different places (..."place at different places"? Excuse my small vocabulary ) of the globe surface. BUT: I don't know how close to the magnet you would have to go with the compass, or how strong your magnet would have to be, I advise you to just try it!
GTdan
Apr21-04, 06:30 PM
P: 70
well, I need a REAL STRONG magnet. I haven't found any regular magnets that work so I will have to go looking around the physics dept in school to see if I can borrow one... ;)

Register to reply