Register to reply

Good Source/s for Mechanical Parts?

by GarageTinker
Tags: mechanical, parts, source or s
Share this thread:
GarageTinker
Feb21-08, 09:54 AM
P: 38
Does anyone know of any good sources for mechanical parts that already on the market? In my "Garage Tinkering" hobby, as much as possible, I like to use parts and materials that are already available on the market instead of having to manufacture them.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Future phones to use blood and speech to monitor HIV, stress, nutrition
Neuron circuit may enable pitch perception applications
Quasi-distributed temperature sensors from draw-tower fabrication technology
FredGarvin
Feb21-08, 10:05 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
The most beloved of all web sites: McMaster-Carr!!!!!

www.mcmaster.com
chemisttree
Feb21-08, 12:56 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Gears, gears, GEARS!

http://www.pic-design.com/

Mech_Engineer
Feb21-08, 01:07 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,241
Good Source/s for Mechanical Parts?

Since McMaster was already mentioned, here's another couple I use a lot:

MSC Direct

W. M. Berg
RonL
Feb21-08, 01:58 PM
PF Gold
P: 707
Unless your someone blessed with too much money here is a site i have had good luck with.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

Be careful when buying heavy items, as frieght charges can eat away at the savings.
TVP45
Feb21-08, 03:02 PM
P: 1,127
PIC, Stock Drive Products, Small Parts Inc.
Danger
Feb21-08, 04:52 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
I tend to build small things, so I grab any scrapped typewriter that I can get my hands on. Gazoodles of nuts and bolts, springs, shafts, bearings and gears in one of those. IBM Selectrics also have respectable motors with Gilmer belt drives.
TVP45
Feb21-08, 06:12 PM
P: 1,127
Good ole Danger. I forgot the best source of all - dumpsters! Then, lots and lots of shoeboxes or baby food jars or cigar boxes or whatever.
GarageTinker
Feb22-08, 12:18 PM
P: 38
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ALL! I've done searches and haven't seen ANY these except MSC Direct. I guess it's time to find a better search engine and / or learn better search techniques :-P. Now all that's left is to convince my wife to let me expand my "Garage Tinkering" hobby budget by 5x! :-)

BTW Danger, thanks for the "dumpster-diving" suggestion, that's an avenue I hadn't considered before.

Just as a side note, if my wife ever finds out where I got my new avenues of searching for parts collection, you might be in trouble for your "encouragements" :-)

Hey! It might be good thing! Between all of the new catalogs I'm going to be getting and all of the parts I'll be stockpiling, maybe I'll be finally able to convince her let me build a real workshop to move my "garage tinkering" into, to move it out of the house/garage! :-)

Next week, a new workshop! Next month, THE WORLD!!! :-)
Danger
Feb22-08, 02:45 PM
PF Gold
Well, usually I get them before they make it to the dumpster... but I'm not above a bit of snorkelling if necessary. Some people just give me stuff, but the Recycle depot is the best spot. I forgot to mention VCR's; they have lots of gears and motors as well.
RonL
Feb22-08, 06:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 707
One of the most prosperous sources for parts, is old style copiers, the big units that, sort, staple, and even pat the operator on the butt, have precision shafts, gears, clutch bearings, and all sorts of goodies. If you are near a larger city where printer dealers supply, and repair, they often have to pay to send them to the land fill, or recycle plants, and they will let you take them for free in some cases.
Danger
Feb22-08, 08:29 PM
PF Gold
Thanks for mentioning that, Ron. My boss just asked me if I knew of anybody who might want our old one. It doesn't do any of the fancy stuff; it's just a copier, but I took a boo inside and there are a lot of nifty bits. Now I just have to wait for W to get back on Sunday with the car, 'cause it's way too heavy to walk home with.

Register to reply