Studying the theory behind batteries

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's interest in lithium ion batteries and their desire to learn more about them, particularly in regards to dendrite formation, bandgap and density of states, and reading relevant graphs in published journals. They ask for recommendations for textbooks or websites to aid in their learning and mention a book called "Advanced Batteries: Materials Science Aspects" that may be helpful. The conversation also touches on the importance of thermodynamics and the use of materials science in advanced battery development.
MaestroBach
These days I've taken an interest in lithium ion batteries and the like, but I don't really know where to go to start learning about them. I saw the general engineering sources and the materials/chemical engineering sources threads, but there was nothing specifically about batteries- Does anyone know of any good textbooks or websites that I could use? I would really appreciate any guidance; I just don't know where to start. I'm interested in learning about stuff like dendrite formation, how bandgap and density of states affects charge storage (or whatever it does affect), and how to read relevant graphs in published journals regarding battery performance. Basically interested in the theoretical/physics side of things.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this or if i"m overlooking a really obvious thread/source here...

Engineering news on Phys.org
MaestroBach said:
These days I've taken an interest in lithium ion batteries and the like, but I don't really know where to go to start learning about them. I saw the general engineering sources and the materials/chemical engineering sources threads, but there was nothing specifically about batteries- Does anyone know of any good textbooks or websites that I could use? I would really appreciate any guidance; I just don't know where to start. I'm interested in learning about stuff like dendrite formation, how bandgap and density of states affects charge storage (or whatever it does affect), and how to read relevant graphs in published journals regarding battery performance. Basically interested in the theoretical/physics side of things.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this or if i"m overlooking a really obvious thread/source here...
I think this is a website that @jedishrfu often recommends:

https://batteryuniversity.com/

What is your science background? The above link that @berkeman suggested is more about the characteristic of different batteries and their care and use which of course is important. However not too much about the details of why they are constructed in the way they are or much about the science behind them. Batteries have in the past been designed using an electrochemical approach. Recently condensed matter physics and material science have become the basis for advanced battery development. In any event, knowledge of thermodynamics is a must. Of course, there are the ubiquitous Wikipedia articles you might peruse.

Check this book out "Advanced Batteries: Materials Science Aspects". This may be more than you can handle but check it out anyway. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387764232/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Read the preface ( it is quite long). The author's intent and didactic approach are given toward the end on page x.

About the book from the Amazon site.

Storage and conversion are critical components of important energy-related technologies. "Advanced Batteries: Materials Science Aspects" employs materials science concepts and tools to describe the critical features that control the behavior of advanced electrochemical storage systems.

This volume focuses on the basic phenomena that determine the properties of the components, i.e. electrodes and electrolytes, of advanced systems, as well as experimental methods used to study their critical parameters. This unique materials science approach utilizes concepts and methodologies different from those typical in electrochemical texts, offering a fresh, fundamental and tutorial perspective of advanced battery systems.

Graduate students, scientists and engineers interested in electrochemical energy storage and conversion will find "Advanced Batteries: Materials Science Aspects" a valuable reference.

1. What is the theory behind how batteries work?

The theory behind batteries is based on the flow of electrons from a negative electrode (anode) to a positive electrode (cathode) through an electrolyte solution. This flow of electrons creates a current that can be used to power devices.

2. How do batteries store and release energy?

Batteries store energy through a chemical reaction that occurs between the anode and cathode. When the battery is connected to a circuit, the stored energy is released as electrons flow from the anode to the cathode.

3. What factors affect the performance of a battery?

Some factors that can affect the performance of a battery include the type of materials used for the anode and cathode, the type and concentration of electrolyte, and the temperature of the battery. These factors can impact the battery's capacity, voltage, and overall lifespan.

4. How do different types of batteries differ in their theory and function?

Different types of batteries, such as alkaline, lithium-ion, and lead-acid, have different theories and functions based on the materials and chemical reactions involved. For example, lithium-ion batteries use lithium ions to move between the anode and cathode, while lead-acid batteries use lead and lead oxide in a sulfuric acid solution.

5. How can studying the theory behind batteries lead to advancements in battery technology?

Studying the theory behind batteries can help scientists and engineers understand how to improve battery performance and develop new and more efficient battery technologies. This knowledge can also aid in the development of sustainable and environmentally-friendly battery options.