Resolving Moments in 3D

by Seven7
Tags: moments, resolving
Seven7
Apr2-08, 02:46 AM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At a particular stage of the manufacturing process, a robotic arm has the position and loading shown in the figure;

Calculate the direct stresses due to bending and the shear stresses due to torsion.

2. Relevant equations

M = r x F

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I took the applied force and resolved the moments about point A as follows (assuming the applied force is travelling parallel to the z-axis);

M = r x F = i(1-0) -j(2-0) = i - 2j

I am fairly sure that the next step in the problem is resolving these moments about the x and y axes into a moment along the figure (a torsional moment) and a moment parallel to the BC section; please refer to the following diagram;

However I'm not exactly sure how to do this. A tutor told me it's ok to treat the moments as if they were forces but i can't get my head around the idea.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
elbarto
Apr2-08, 06:38 PM
P: 33
I haven't had a great deal to do with moment vectors to this extent, but if your tutor has told you to treat the moments like forces maybe he is implying that to find the moment about the axis paralell to AB (I the moment producing the torsion in that member), then my guess would be to find the dot product of the moment you have found with the unit vector or dirrectional vector (what ever you like to call it of AB)

That is,
Mab=(i-2j) dot (0.6i+0.8j)=(0.6+1.6)=2.2
Mbc could be found in the same way?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, might be something for you to have a look at anyway.

Elbarto
Seven7
Apr3-08, 12:44 AM
P: 3
i've had a look at something from one of last year's courses and i think you're right... cheers elbarto... very helpful

Register to reply