Books for QFT calculations

by jdstokes
Tags: books, calculations
Share this thread:
jdstokes
Apr30-08, 02:23 AM
P: 527
Hi all,

I'm currently learning QFT out of Mandl and Shaw supplemented by Peskin and Schroeder.

What are the best books for getting experience with QED calculations? Problems with worked solutions would be ideal.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
malawi_glenn
Apr30-08, 05:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,738
We have book-question section on this forum, see "Academic & Career Guidance" --> "Science Book Reviews"

Anyway, I found these:
http://www.amazon.com/Problem-Book-Q...9551429&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/354...4NT276HPJNWTPF

http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Field-...551353&sr=8-18

These at least have worked out examples.
lbrits
Apr30-08, 09:45 AM
P: 410
I think Ryder is definitely worth having.

Another note. Are you learning QED or are you learning QFT? Because QFT contains a lot of things that you simply won't see in QED, so it's good to keep a broad outlook (anomalies*, non-abelian gauge theories, non-perturbative effects).

* Well, more than what is in QED.

cristo
Apr30-08, 09:47 AM
Mentor
P: 8,316
Books for QFT calculations

Quote Quote by malawi_glenn View Post
We have book-question section on this forum, see "Academic & Career Guidance" --> "Science Book Reviews"
I'm moving this there. Perhaps the OP should do a search of the book review forum, since there are a plethora of threads on books for QFT.
nrqed
Apr30-08, 01:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,948
Quote Quote by jdstokes View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently learning QFT out of Mandl and Shaw supplemented by Peskin and Schroeder.

What are the best books for getting experience with QED calculations? Problems with worked solutions would be ideal.
Do you really mean QED specifically? And at what level are you interested? I mean do you want to go into multiloop calculations?

If you focus on QED and up to one loop only, there is not much to calculate. And all the basic calculations are done in the standard QFT books (I love Srednicki's book)
Daverz
Apr30-08, 06:55 PM
P: 900
Itzykson and Zuber's book is well known for including lots of computational details:

http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Field-.../dp/0486445682
jdstokes
May1-08, 05:27 AM
P: 527
We're going to cover basically the first 9 chapters of Mandl and Shaw: Lagrangian field theory, Klein gordon and Dirac field, covariant photon theory, S-matrix expansion, Feynmann diagrams and rules, QED processes in lowest order and radiative corrections.

No multi-loop expansions.

I will be learning non-abelian gauge theories and the standard model, but not for another 2 months or so.
nrqed
May1-08, 10:59 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,948
Quote Quote by jdstokes View Post
We're going to cover basically the first 9 chapters of Mandl and Shaw: Lagrangian field theory, Klein gordon and Dirac field, covariant photon theory, S-matrix expansion, Feynmann diagrams and rules, QED processes in lowest order and radiative corrections.

No multi-loop expansions.

I will be learning non-abelian gauge theories and the standard model, but not for another 2 months or so.
Ok. SO you basically simply need a good QFT book as an extra reference?

Correct me if I am wrong by Mandl and Shaw only use canonical quantization, right? No path integral?

SO if I think about books that are pedagogically good and which are suitable at the level you are pursuing now, I would say that Srednicki would be very valuable. Maybe also Maggiore (A moderne introduction to quantum field theory).

Register to reply