Quantum Mechanics measurement of spin

In summary, Shankar discusses the measurement of angular momentum through the use of rotation state vectors and generators of rotation matrices. He explains that the matrices D^(j) (nθJ^(j)) are used to measure angular momentum in analogy to classical mechanics. The D matrices are used to obtain the same result as the original rotation matrix, R(nθ), which rotates a typical 3-D vector around the z axis. The orbital angular momentum, L = r x p, is the generator of rotation and can be represented by the operator U. For a wavefunction with spin s, the generator is e^(iω·(L+s)). The example given is for a wavefunction with spin 1/2 and L=0.
Phymath

Homework Statement

reading shankar he develops the measurement of angular momentum by discussing rotation state vectors in 3-D by the angle-and-axis parameterization so he creates these generators of rotation matrices and says these are what we use to measure angular momentum in analogy to classical mechanics.

He goes on to describe these [tex] D^{(j)} (\hat{n}\theta J^{(j)})[/tex] when we just use the [tex] J_i^{(j)} [/tex] i = 1,2,3 (designation of axis) to measure the angular momentum what are the [tex] D^{(j)} (\hat{n} \theta J^{(j)})[/tex] matrices used for? how are they related to the original rotation matrix we are all used to?

such as [tex] R(\textbf{n}\theta) |v> = |v'> [/tex] make |v> a typical 3-d vector...and make it rotated about the z axis
[tex]

R(\textbf{z}\theta)|x,y,z> = |x cos(\theta) - y sin(\theta), x sin(\theta) + y cos(\theta),z>
[/tex]
how can i use the D matrices to get the same result?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi...
The orbital angular momentum [tex] L=r \wedge p [/tex] is the generator of the rotation:
[tex] U \Psi(r) = e^{i L \cdot \omega}(r) [/tex]. For an infinitesimal rotation [tex] \omega[/tex]
[tex]U \Psi(r) \approx (1+ iL\cdot \omega)=(1+\omega_i \epsilon_{ijk}x_j \partial_k)\Psi
\approx \Psi(r + \omega \wedge r ) [/tex].
A generic operator transfor like [tex]O \rightarrow UOU^{\dagger} [/tex]
If you take [tex]r \rightarrow r+\omega \wedge r[/tex] that is the action of a rotatation [tex]\omega[/tex].
For a wavefunction with spin s the generator is [tex]e^{i \omega \cdot (L+s)}[/tex].
For example a wavefuncion of spin 1/2 (it has 2 component) and L=0 transform with
[tex]U(\theta \bold{n})=cos(\theta/2)+i \bold{n}\cdot \bold{\sigma} sin (\theta /2)[/tex] where [tex]\bold{\sigma}[/tex] are the pauli matrices

1. What is the concept of spin in quantum mechanics measurement?

Spin is an intrinsic property of quantum particles, such as electrons and protons, that describes their angular momentum. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How is spin measured in quantum mechanics?

The measurement of spin in quantum mechanics involves using specialized instruments, such as Stern-Gerlach apparatus, to observe the deflection of particles in a magnetic field. This deflection corresponds to the spin state of the particle, which can have two possible values: up or down.

3. What is the significance of spin in quantum mechanics?

Spin is significant in quantum mechanics because it is one of the few properties of particles that cannot be explained by classical physics. It also has important implications in the fields of quantum computing and cryptography, as well as in understanding the structure of matter.

4. Can the spin of a particle be changed or manipulated?

Yes, the spin of a particle can be manipulated through various processes, such as applying external magnetic fields or using lasers. This manipulation of spin is essential in quantum computing, where the spin of particles is used to store and process information.

5. How is spin related to the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in a state of superposition, where they have multiple spin states simultaneously. This means that the particle's spin is not determined until it is measured, and it can exhibit different spin values at different times. This phenomenon is key to understanding the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics.