Register to reply

Composition of Inverse Functions

by John Creighto
Tags: composition, functions, inverse
Share this thread:
John Creighto
Sep11-08, 01:55 PM
P: 813
In Micheal C. Gemignani, "Elementary Topology" in section 1.1 there is the following exercise

2)
i)
If [tex]f:S \rightarrow T[/tex] and [tex]G: T \rightarrow W [/tex], then [tex](g \circ f)^{-1}(A) = f^{-1}(g^{-1}(A))[/tex] for any [tex]A \subset W [/tex].

I think the above is only true if A is in the image of g yet the book says to prove the above. I have what I believe is a counter example. Any comments? I will give people two days to prove the above or post a counter example. After this time I'll post my counter example for further comment.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
statdad
Sep12-08, 03:06 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,372
How is [tex] \mathbf{W} [/tex] used here - does [tex] g [/tex] map to all of [tex] \mathbf{W} [/tex] or only into [tex] \mathbf{W} [/tex]? That could explain the possible confusion.
evagelos
Sep12-08, 06:45 PM
P: 308
The way the problem has been written you can only prove that:

.........f^-1[g^-1(A)] IS a subset of (g*f)^-1(A) i.e the right hand side of the above is a subset of the left hand side

FOR the above to be equal we must have that: f(S)={ f(x): xεS } MUST be a subset of

g^-1(A)

evagelos
Sep14-08, 12:05 AM
Composition of Inverse Functions

Quote Quote by John Creighto View Post
In Micheal C. Gemignani, "Elementary Topology" in section 1.1 there is the following exercise

2)
i)
If [tex]f:S \rightarrow T[/tex] and [tex]G: T \rightarrow W [/tex], then [tex](g \circ f)^{-1}(A) = f^{-1}(g^{-1}(A))[/tex] for any [tex]A \subset W [/tex].

I think the above is only true if A is in the image of g yet the book says to prove the above. I have what I believe is a counter example. Any comments? I will give people two days to prove the above or post a counter example. After this time I'll post my counter example for further comment.
xε[tex]f^{-1}(g^{-1}(A))[/tex]<====> xεS & f(x)ε[tex]g^{-1}(A)[/tex]====> xεS & g(f(x))εA <====> xε[tex](g\circ f)^{-1}(A)[/tex]

since [tex]g^{-1}(A)[/tex] = { y: yεT & g(y)εΑ}

ΙΝ the above proof all arrows are double excep one which is single and for that arrow to become double we must have :

.........................................f(S)[tex]\subseteq g^{-1}(A)[/tex].....................................

and then we will have ;

[tex](g\circ f)^{-1}(A) = f^{-1}(g^{-1}(A))[/tex]
Moo Of Doom
Sep14-08, 06:36 AM
P: 367
Let [itex]x \in (g \circ f)^{-1}(A)[/itex]. Then [itex]x \in S[/itex] with [itex]g(f(x)) \in A[/itex]. This means [itex]f(x) \in g^{-1}(A)[/itex] and thus [itex]x \in f^{-1}(g^{-1}(A))[/itex].

The other direction has been shown.

How are those not all double arrows, evagelos? If [itex]g(f(x)) \in A[/itex], then certainly [itex]f(x) \in g^{-1}(A)[/itex] by definition. We already know that [itex]f(x) \in T[/itex].

I'm curious as to what this supposed counter-example is.
John Creighto
Sep14-08, 08:34 PM
P: 813
Quote Quote by Moo Of Doom View Post
Let [itex]x \in (g \circ f)^{-1}(A)[/itex]. Then [itex]x \in S[/itex] with [itex]g(f(x)) \in A[/itex]. This means [itex]f(x) \in g^{-1}(A)[/itex] and thus [itex]x \in f^{-1}(g^{-1}(A))[/itex].

The other direction has been shown.

How are those not all double arrows, evagelos? If [itex]g(f(x)) \in A[/itex], then certainly [itex]f(x) \in g^{-1}(A)[/itex] by definition. We already know that [itex]f(x) \in T[/itex].

I'm curious as to what this supposed counter-example is.
Your proof looks correct. There appears to be a mistake in my counter example. I'll spend a few futile minutes anyway trying to think up a counterexample anyway.
evagelos
Sep15-08, 01:31 AM
Quote Quote by Moo Of Doom View Post

If [itex]g(f(x)) \in A[/itex], then certainly [itex]f(x) \in g^{-1}(A)[/itex] by definition. We already know that [itex]f(x) \in T[/itex].

What definition,write down please
HallsofIvy
Sep15-08, 12:47 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,552
Quote Quote by evagelos View Post
What definition,write down please
g-1(A) is defined as the set of all x such that g(x) is in A. If g(f(x)) is in A, then, by that definition, f(x) is in g-1(A).
evagelos
Sep15-08, 07:49 PM
write a proof where you justify each of your steps ,if you wish.

The above proof is not very clear

Register to reply