What Are the Eigenvalues and Degeneracies of a Coupled Ising Spin System?

In summary, when considering two Ising spins coupled together, with the Hamiltonian given by −βH = h(σ1 + σ2) + Kσ1σ2, the eigenvalues are obtained by finding the roots of the equation [(-2h/β)-(K/β)-λ)][(-2h/β)-(K/β)-λ)]-(2K/β)=0, which simplifies to λ1,2=-((2h-K)/β)±sqrt[2k/β]. However, to fully understand the physical implications of these eigenvalues, a 4x4 matrix should be used to account for all 4 possible configurations of the spins.
Krischi

Homework Statement

Consider two Ising spins coupled together
−βH = h(σ1 + σ2) + Kσ1σ2,
where σ1 and σ2 commute and each independently takes on the values ±1.
What are the eigenvalues of this Hamiltonian? What are the degeneracies of the states?

The Attempt at a Solution

Four possible combinations for (σ1,σ2): (1,1), (1,-1), (-1,1) and (-1,-1).
Therefore H=(-h/β)*(σ1 + σ2) + K/β*σ1σ2 can be written in a 2×2 matrix. And the eigenvalues λ are obtained by det(H-Eλ)=0.

it follows: [(-2h/β)-(K/β)-λ)][(-2h/β)-(K/β)-λ)]-(2K/β)=0

and so: λ1,2=-((2h-K)/β)±sqrt[(2h-K)22)-((2h-K)22-(2K/β)]

and: λ1,2=-((2h-K)/β)±sqrt[2k/β]

Are these really the eigenvalues of the hamiltonian? I don't gain any physical insight by this solution and therefore I doubt my calculation. I don't know how to go on and clculate the degeneracies of the states.

Thanks in advance!
Krischi

Physics news on Phys.org
You should use a 4x4 matrix for the Hamiltonian --- the system has 4 basis states (which you listed). Find the eigenvalues of that matrix.

Really, a 4[tex]\times[/tex]4 matrix? If there are 4 base states, why can't I use a 2[tex]\times[/tex]2 matrix? 4 states fit into a 2[tex]\times[/tex]2 matrix, right? I tried this and calculated 2 eigenvalues, [tex]\lambda[/tex], but I am not sure, if the result is correct, since it "looks" to complicated (see my 1st reply)

genneth is right, for 4 base states you need a 4x4 matrix.
Consider for a moment a Hamiltonian for a single spin that can be +1 or -1. We need to know how the Hamiltonian operator acts on the particle if its spin is +1 and also how the Hamiltonian acts on the particle if its spin is -1. Thus, we need a basis state for each state of the particle.

In your case you have two particles. So you have two particles with two states each 2*2 = 4 basis states. You need to know how the Hamiltonian acts on each individual configuration of spins and there are 4 possible configurations.

Hope that helps

1. What are eigenvalues of Hamiltonian?

Eigenvalues of Hamiltonian refer to the possible energy values that a system can have when described by the Hamiltonian operator. They represent the allowed energy states of a quantum mechanical system.

2. Why are eigenvalues of Hamiltonian important?

Eigenvalues of Hamiltonian are important because they determine the energy levels and behavior of a quantum mechanical system. They are used to calculate the probabilities of different energy states and to predict the outcomes of experiments.

3. How are eigenvalues of Hamiltonian calculated?

Eigenvalues of Hamiltonian are calculated by solving the eigenvalue equation, which involves finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator. This can be done through various mathematical methods, such as diagonalization or perturbation theory.

4. What is the significance of the size of eigenvalues of Hamiltonian?

The size of eigenvalues of Hamiltonian is directly related to the energy levels of a system. Higher eigenvalues correspond to higher energy levels, and the differences between eigenvalues can be used to determine the energy spacing between different energy states.

5. Can eigenvalues of Hamiltonian be measured?

No, eigenvalues of Hamiltonian cannot be measured directly. However, they can be inferred from experimental data by comparing the predicted energy levels based on the Hamiltonian to the actual observed energy levels of a system.