R with the cocountable topology is not first countable

• Thread starter mrbohn1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that R, with the cocountable topology, is not first countable. This is done by finding a subset A of R and a point z in the closure of A such that no sequence in A converges to z. The cocountable topology on R is defined as having closed sets that are finite or countable subsets of R. The conversation also explores the concept of first countable spaces and their local bases, as well as the difficulties in proving that the cocountable topology on Z is not countable.
mrbohn1

Homework Statement

(a) Prove that R, with the cocountable topology, is not first countable.

(b) Find a subset A of R (with the cocountable topology), and a point z in the closure of A such that no sequence in A converges to z.

Homework Equations

(The cocountable topology on R has as its closed sets all the finite and countable subsets of R).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to prove this. I know that if I could find a set and point meeting the conditions in part (b), then that would prove part (a), as in a first countable space X a point x belongs to the closure of a subset A of that space if and only if there is a sequence of points of A converging to x. However, I assume that I am expected to prove that R is not first countable with this topology some other way for part (a).

Either way, I'm stuck!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you say *first* countable do you mean isomorphic to Z? Maybe it would be easier to show that the cocountable topology on Z isn't countable.

(from wikpedia): "a space, X, is said to be first-countable if each point has a countable neighbourhood basis (local base). That is, for each point, x, in space X there exists a sequence, U1, U2, … of open neighborhoods of x such that for any open neighborhood, V, of x, there exists an integer, i, with Ui contained in V."

Suppose there's a countable basis at 0, say {U_1, U_2, ...}. What is the intersection of all the U_i?

1. What is the cocountable topology on R?

The cocountable topology on R is a topology in which the open sets are the empty set and any subset of R whose complement is countable. This means that any uncountable subset of R is considered to be "too large" to be open.

2. What does it mean for a topology to be first countable?

A topology is first countable if for each point in the space, there exists a countable basis of neighborhoods. This means that every point has a countable collection of open sets containing it, which allows for a more precise definition of continuity and convergence.

3. Why is R with the cocountable topology not first countable?

R with the cocountable topology is not first countable because for any point in R, there is no countable collection of open sets containing it. This is because any open set in the cocountable topology must contain all but countably many points, making it impossible to have a countable basis of neighborhoods.

4. What are the implications of R with the cocountable topology not being first countable?

The main implication is that some results from general topology, such as the characterization of continuous functions in terms of convergent sequences, may not hold in this topology. Additionally, certain topological concepts, such as separation axioms, may behave differently in the cocountable topology compared to other topologies on R.

5. Are there any benefits to studying R with the cocountable topology?

Yes, studying R with the cocountable topology can provide insights into the behavior of different topologies and the importance of countability in topology. It can also be useful in understanding concepts such as compactness and connectedness in non-metric spaces. Additionally, the cocountable topology has applications in measure theory and functional analysis.