Maximize Volume of a Rectangular Box

In summary, the largest rectangular box that can be inscribed in a sphere of radius 1 is of volume v.
dtl42

Homework Statement

Find the dimensions of the rectangular box of largest volume that can be inscribed in a sphere of radius 1.

Homework Equations

v=w*l*h, Set the partials equal to 0, then solve a system, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really just unsure of the constraints that might arise when inscribing a box in a sphere, I'm fairly confident about the rest of the process.

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing students seem to have trouble realizing is that applications don't typically come with coordinate systems attached! You have a sphere, sittin there in space, with a rectangle inscribed in it. You can't write equations until you have set up a coordinate system. The obvious thing, I think, is to choose your coordinate system so that (0,0,0) is at the center of the sphere and then the equation of the sphere is [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex].

That still leaves the orientation of the axes- again, it would strike me as simplest to choose the axes parallel to the edges of the box. Now, one corner of the box will be in the first octant, (x, y, z) with x, y, and z positive, and, of course, [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex]. It should be easy, using the fact that the edges of the are parallel to the axes, and using the symmetry of the sphere, to write down the coordinates of the other 7 corners and so find the lengths of the edges and the volume as a function of x, y, and z.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the sphere of radius 1, with center at (0, 0, 0), the equation is x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1.

To simplify things, you can work with just the portion of the sphere in the first octant (i.e., x, y, z >= 0) and the one-eighth of the rectangular box that is in this octant.

For this box, the vertex opposite the one at the origin is at (x0, y0, z0) on the sphere. No other corners of the box touch the sphere.

You want to find the max. value of V = xyz, subject to the constraint that x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1. From the latter equation you can solve for z to make your volume a function of x and y alone. Then you can take partials wrt x and y and use them to find the max. volume.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a rectangular box?

The formula for calculating the volume of a rectangular box is length x width x height, or V = lwh.

2. How do you maximize the volume of a rectangular box?

To maximize the volume of a rectangular box, you need to increase the length, width, and height as much as possible while keeping the proportions of the box the same. This will result in a larger volume.

3. Can the volume of a rectangular box be negative?

No, the volume of a rectangular box cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space, and it cannot have a negative value.

4. What factors affect the volume of a rectangular box?

The volume of a rectangular box is affected by the length, width, and height of the box. These dimensions can be changed to increase or decrease the volume.

5. Does the shape of a rectangular box affect its volume?

Yes, the shape of a rectangular box does affect its volume. A rectangular box with the same dimensions as a cube will have a greater volume because it has more surface area to hold the contents.