Abstract Algebra problem (related to Rings of Polynomails

In summary: F, and thus \phi + (-f(x)) \in P_F and \phi * (f(x)^{-1}) \in P_F.Therefore, P_F is closed under addition, multiplication, and additive and multiplicative inverses, and thus it is a subring of F^F. I hope this helps to clarify the problem for you. Keep up the good work!
JamesF
We'll I made it through another semester, but it seems that I am completely stuck on the last problem of the last homework assignment. I've made a little progress, but I'm really having trouble understanding the question. Perhaps someone on these forums will have some insight

Homework Statement

Let F be a field. An element [tex] \phi \in F^F [/tex] is a polynomial function on F if there exists an [tex] f(x) \in F[x] \text{ s.t. } \phi(a) = f(a) \; \forall a \in F [/tex]

a) Show that the set [tex] P_F [/tex] of all polynomial functions on F form a subring of [tex]F^F[/tex]

b) Show that the ring [tex] P_F [/tex] is not necessarily isomorphic to F[x] (Hint: show that if F is a finite field, then [tex] P_F [/tex] and F[x] don't have the same number of elements)

Homework Equations

In this problem, [tex] F^F [/tex] refers to the set of all functions mapping F to F, and F[x] refers to the ring of polynomials with coefficients in F.

The Attempt at a Solution

Part b) doesn't seem so difficult. If we let [tex]F = \mathbb{Z}_2 [/tex], then there are only 4 functions in all since there are only two possible values in the domain and range. But [tex] \mathbb{Z}_2 [x] [/tex] has infinitely many elements, so they cannot be isomorphic.

Part a) though has me stumped. We have that [tex]P_F \subseteq F^F[/tex], so for any [tex]\phi \in P_F, \longrightarrow \phi: F \rightarrow F [/tex]. If we let [tex] \phi, \psi \in P_F \; f(x), g(x) \in F[x][/tex], then we have that [tex] \phi(a) = f(a), \; \psi(a) = \g(a) [/tex].

Am I understanding this correctly? How can I demonstrate that it satisfies the ring axioms? Just directly apply them and see if it works? Or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org

I can understand your frustration with this problem, but don't worry, I am here to help. First, let me clarify that your understanding of the problem is correct. The set P_F is a subset of F^F, and for any element \phi in P_F, it is a function that maps elements of F to elements of F. Now, to show that P_F is a subring of F^F, we need to show that it satisfies the ring axioms.

First, let's consider the closure under addition. Let \phi, \psi \in P_F. Then, we have \phi(a) = f(a) and \psi(a) = g(a) for some polynomials f(x) and g(x) in F[x]. Now, we know that f(x) + g(x) is also a polynomial in F[x], so we have \phi(a) + \psi(a) = f(a) + g(a) = (f+g)(a). Therefore, \phi + \psi is also a polynomial function on F, and thus \phi + \psi \in P_F.

Next, we need to show closure under multiplication. Let \phi, \psi \in P_F. Then, we have \phi(a) = f(a) and \psi(a) = g(a) for some polynomials f(x) and g(x) in F[x]. Now, we know that f(x) * g(x) is also a polynomial in F[x], so we have \phi(a) * \psi(a) = f(a) * g(a) = (f*g)(a). Therefore, \phi * \psi is also a polynomial function on F, and thus \phi * \psi \in P_F.

Finally, we need to show that P_F is closed under additive and multiplicative inverses. Let \phi \in P_F, then we have \phi(a) = f(a) for some polynomial f(x) in F[x]. Since F[x] is a ring, we know that f(x) has an additive inverse (-f(x)) and a multiplicative inverse (f(x)^{-1}) in F[x]. Therefore, we have (-f(x))(a) = -f(a) and (f(x)^{-1})(a) = f(a)^{-1}. This means that \phi(a) + (-f(a)) = 0 and

1. What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It deals with the abstract properties of these structures, rather than specific numbers or equations.

2. What is a Ring of Polynomials?

A Ring of Polynomials is a set of polynomials with coefficients from a certain field, such as real or complex numbers. This set is closed under addition and multiplication, and satisfies the associative, commutative, and distributive properties.

3. What is the difference between a Ring and a Field?

A Ring is a set of elements with two operations, addition and multiplication, that satisfy certain properties. A Field is a special type of Ring where every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. In other words, every element in a Field can be divided by any other non-zero element.

4. How do you determine if a polynomial is a unit in a Ring of Polynomials?

A polynomial is a unit in a Ring of Polynomials if it has a multiplicative inverse in the Ring. In other words, if there exists another polynomial in the Ring that, when multiplied by the original polynomial, equals 1.

5. What is the importance of Rings of Polynomials in abstract algebra?

Rings of Polynomials play a crucial role in abstract algebra as they are a fundamental example of a commutative ring. They also have many applications in algebraic geometry, number theory, and coding theory. Additionally, many important concepts in abstract algebra, such as ideals and quotient rings, can be illustrated and studied through Rings of Polynomials.