Register to reply

Calc rate problem

by Okie
Tags: calc, rate
Share this thread:
Okie
Mar12-09, 07:02 PM
P: 9
hen air expands adiabatically (without gaining or losing heat), its pressure P and volume V are related by the equation PV^{1.4}=C where C is a constant. Suppose that at a certain instant the volume is 630 cubic centimeters and the pressure is 97 kPa and is decreasing at a rate of 7 kPa/minute. At what rate in cubic centimeters per minute is the volume increasing at this instant?

(Pa stands for Pascal -- it is equivalent to one Newton/(meter squared); kPa is a kiloPascal or 1000 Pascals. )

I think i start by doing (97)(630)^1.4 = 805097.5471 what is my next step? How do i solve this problem
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
Mark44
Mar12-09, 07:10 PM
Mentor
P: 21,214
You can't start by putting numbers in--P and V are functions of time. Find a relationship between the rates of change (i.e., time derivatives) of P and V, and then solve for dV/dt.

Then you can put your numbers in.
Okie
Mar12-09, 07:32 PM
I don't get it. So i differentiate pv^1.4 ?

so the answer would be 1.4pv' + v^1.4 ... would that be correct?

Mark44
Mar12-09, 08:08 PM
Mentor
P: 21,214
Calc rate problem

No. Both p and v are functions of t, so you need to differentiate with respect to t. I would recommend using d/dt (Leibniz) notation rather than ' (Newton) notation.

Start with your equation, PV1.4 = C, and differentiate both sides with respect to t. You should get another equation with P, dP/dt, V, and dV/dt. Solve that equation for dV/dt. Then you can find the value of dV/dt at the particular time in question.
Okie
Mar12-09, 08:31 PM
Is this correct ???

dP/dt = -[P 1.4*V^.4 dV/dt]/[V^1.4]
Chaos2009
Mar12-09, 11:58 PM
P: 81
That can be simplified but, yes, I think it is correct. I have trouble reading the formula like that so...

[tex]\frac{dP}{dt} = \frac{-1.4P\frac{dV}{dt}}{V}[/tex]

Now that you have an equation that relates the rates, the problem is figuring out what these values are from the problem. You solved for dP/dt and I'm not sure why, but it stills works. The problem asks for the rate at which volume is changing, and it gives you a volume, pressure, and a rate at which pressure is changing. Your new equation has 4 variables, Pressure, Volume, the rate at which Pressure changes, and the rate at which Volume changes. Plug in your known variables and solve the problem.
Okie
Mar13-09, 01:01 AM
Thank you i got the answer .
Okie
Mar13-09, 01:29 AM
The answer is 32.47422681

Register to reply