Calculating Maximum Inertial and Connecting Rod Forces in a Piston Mechanism

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a piston and cylinder mechanism connected to a crank shaft. The question asks for the calculation of the maximum inertial force between the piston and connecting rod, as well as the maximum force in the connecting rod. The conversation also includes equations for angular momentum, force, and torque, but the questioner is unsure of where to begin. The expert suggests looking for a start point in textbooks on theory, mechanisms, and machines.
jonnygeordie
Ok so here's the question I am looking at.
A piston and cylinder mechanism is connected to a crank shaft. The crank is 50mm long, the connecting rod 250 mm long and the piston has a mass of 150g. If the engine speed is w rad/sec and the crankshaft torque T Nm calculate:-

i) Max inertial force between the piston and connecting rod
ii) Max. force in the connecting rod

My question is where to start.

I know
Angular momentum = Inertia x w

Force = Torque/ distance

Torque = angular momentum x Inertia

Now for the seond pat of the question, combining two of the above equations i get

Force = (angular momentum X inertia) / distance.

The problem is i have no idea where to start, if someone could give me a startpoint i would be greatfull. I am sure once i have that then the rest will fall into place

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find solution to this problem in theory mechanism and machines textbooks

1. What are inertial forces in pistons?

Inertial forces in pistons are forces that result from the acceleration of a piston in a reciprocating engine. These forces act in the opposite direction of the acceleration and can cause vibrations and stress on the engine components.

2. How do inertial forces affect engine performance?

Inertial forces can cause power loss and decrease in efficiency in an engine. This is because they require additional energy to overcome and can disrupt the smooth operation of the engine.

3. Can inertial forces be reduced or eliminated?

Inertial forces can be reduced by carefully designing the engine components and balancing the reciprocating masses. However, they cannot be completely eliminated as they are an inherent part of the operation of reciprocating engines.

4. How do engineers account for inertial forces in engine design?

Engineers use mathematical calculations and computer simulations to analyze the effects of inertial forces on engine components. They also use techniques such as counterbalancing and dampening to minimize their impact.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to inertial forces in pistons?

Inertial forces can lead to mechanical failures and malfunctions if not properly accounted for in engine design. This can pose safety risks for both the engine and the people operating it. Therefore, it is important for engineers to carefully consider and address these forces in their designs.