String theory in one sentence please!

by Entropee
Tags: lhc, string, string theory, susy, theory
Share this thread:
Entropee
Oct12-09, 08:08 PM
PF Gold
P: 133
My teacher told me that in my essay I need to briefly describe string theory (because I'm talking about how the LHC is a good test for string theory) and by briefly she told me 1 sentence.

If anyone could tell me how THEY would describe string theory in 1 sentence that would be much appreciated!

-Gavin
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Detecting neutrinos, physicists look into the heart of the Sun
Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
tom.stoer
Oct13-09, 12:29 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,443
I'll try it:

String theory tries to construct a supersymmetric framework in 10 (11) dimensions from which all known elementary particles and interactions including gravity emerge (uniquely) from the modes of an one-dimensional, vibrating string.

The "trial" is bold bevcause up to now they did not succeed; "uniquely" is in brackets because there are indications that the theory is by no means unique; some string theorists try to find a selection principe, some others simpy believe in the anthropic principle; "11" is in brackets because there are indications that the theory has a dual description in 11 dimensions; I leave out certain subtleties like higher-dimensional objects, p-branes etc.

Let's discuss it ...
Entropee
Oct13-09, 12:59 AM
PF Gold
P: 133
Heh, thanks Tom, the only problem with yours is it's too complicated for my class. I have been coming up with things along those lines but I realize I have to "dumb it down" a lot, considering it's english class, not physics class haha.

Thanks though, I might use the part about particles and interactions emerging from different dimensions.

Demystifier
Oct13-09, 02:10 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,604
String theory in one sentence please!

Let me try:

According to string theory, elementary particles are not really pointlike, but have a shape of a short string, too short to be visible with present technology.

Is that dumb enough?
Bob_for_short
Oct13-09, 03:06 AM
P: 1,160
String theory is another failed attempt to describe everything without any experimental background.
Borek
Oct13-09, 03:24 AM
Admin
P: 23,573
Quote Quote by Entropee View Post
My teacher told me that in my essay I need to briefly describe string theory (...) and by briefly she told me 1 sentence.
Quote Quote by Entropee View Post
I realize I have to "dumb it down" a lot, considering it's english class, not physics class haha.
Don't we love humanists?
BigFairy
Oct13-09, 04:44 AM
P: 101
Quote Quote by Bob_for_short View Post
String theory is another failed attempt to describe everything without any experimental background.
Thats a bold statement.
MathematicalPhysicist
Oct13-09, 06:50 AM
P: 3,243
Quote Quote by BigFairy View Post
Thats a bold statement.
And as time passes by, it seems more plausible.

Besides, every physical theory is a failed attmept to describe phenomena eventually.
Bob_for_short
Oct13-09, 08:17 AM
Quote Quote by MathematicalPhysicist View Post
...Besides, every physical theory is a failed attmept to describe phenomena eventually.
Not to that extent.

Let us look at the Newton's second law: ma = F. It is a generalization of many experimental data. Look at the Hook's law: F = -kx. It is also an experimental fact for elastic bodies. Remember PV=NT, I=U/R, q=-λT (for heat flux), etc. Each physical law has its domain of application where all involved letters are physically meaningfull. Another matter these laws are not universal, they all have limited ranges of validity.

The usual geometry is a generalization of experimental facts too.

It is a big mistake to think that one can start from ungrounded postulates or axioms and obtain some reality. What is obtained in this way is mathematical sequences of mathematical postulates, nothing else. String theory is just a mathematical exercise with big but unfounded claims. No wonder it resulted in nothing physical.
Dmitry67
Oct13-09, 08:26 AM
P: 2,456
Quote Quote by Bob_for_short View Post
1 Each physical law has its domain of application where all involved letters are physically meaningfull. Another matter these laws are not universal, they all have limited ranges of validity.

2 It is a big mistake to think that one can start from ungrounded postulates or axioms and obtain some reality.

3 What is obtained in this way is a mathematical sequences of mathematical postulats, nothing else
1 Yes, if we look retrospectively.
But TOE, by definition, should not be limited to any domain

2 It is an exact program of MUH, called "physics from scratch"

3 mathematics IS physics!
Bob_for_short
Oct13-09, 08:39 AM
Quote Quote by Dmitry67 View Post
...mathematics IS physics!
So let us force the Nature to obey our mathematical fantasies ?
Dmitry67
Oct13-09, 09:04 AM
I don't want to touch (again) the MUH, but at least agree that when we talk about TOE we must be ready that it will be a very final step in a sequence of the infinite reduction.
Bob_for_short
Oct13-09, 09:16 AM
Quote Quote by Dmitry67 View Post
...agree that when we talk about TOE we must be ready that it will be a very final step in a sequence of the infinite reduction.
So we observe a rush of geniuses: who first will guess the TOE. It is very near! One more patch and here it is!
Dmitry67
Oct13-09, 09:18 AM
YES
I don't share your sarcasm.
Bob_for_short
Oct13-09, 09:19 AM
And I do not like to fool myself.
Chronos
Oct14-09, 01:49 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,444
String is a purely mathematical attempt to model reality. It is not provably wrong [and may never be], but, empirically unsatisfying thus far. It explains some observations, mostly at the quantum level, but otherwise has no compelling observational support.
suprised
Oct14-09, 02:04 AM
P: 407
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
String is a purely mathematical attempt to model reality.
What a nonsense. Of course string theory is built on physical principles. Only because most people don't understand the mathematical language in terms of which these physical principles are formulated, they confuse it with "pure" mathematics. Such comments just reveal ignorance.
Galteeth
Oct14-09, 03:59 AM
P: 320
String Theory Summarized:

http://xkcd.com/171/

Register to reply