Measure theory: kernel mapping

In summary: K(x,dy)) = f(y)$ when $f(y) \geq K(x,dy)$. Therefore, \int f(y) \nu(dy) = \int [\int f(y) K(x,dy)] \mu (dx), as desired.
Sarcasticus
Let (X, [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]), (Y, [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]) be measurable spaces. A function [tex]K: X \times \mathcal{B} \rightarrow [0, +\infty[/tex]] is called a kernel from (X, [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]) to (Y, [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]) if

i) for each x in X, the function B [tex]\mapsto[/tex] K(x,B) is a measure on (Y, [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]), and
ii) for each B in [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex], the function x [tex]\mapsto[/tex] K(x,B) is [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]-measurable.

Suppose that K is a kernel from (X, [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]) to (Y, [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]), that [tex]\mu[/tex] is a measure on (X, [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]) and that f is a [0, +[tex]\infty[/tex]]-valued [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]-measurable function on Y. Show that

a) B [tex]\mapsto \int K(x,B) \mu(dx)[/tex] is a measure on (Y, [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex])

b) x [tex]\mapsto \int f(y) K(x,dy)[/tex] is an [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]-measurable function on X, and

c) if [tex]\nu[/tex] is the measure on (Y, [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]) defined in part (a), then
[tex]\int f(y) \nu(dy) = \int [\int f(y) K(x,dy)] \mu (dx)[/tex]

Solution:
I can show part (a) quite easily, just unwind the definition of measure (countable additive follows from the properties of the kernel.)
I can show part (b) as well; it will end up being a finite sum of [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]-measurable functions (again, from the dual nature of the kernel.)

But I am having the darndest time with part (c). Essentially, I can show that

[tex] \int f(y)\nu(dy) = \int f(y) ( \int K(x,dy) \mu(dx) )[/tex]

just by definition, but I can't get past that. I was trying to isolate the kernel K(x,dy) within the bracketed integral; and say that since it's [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]-measurable, then

[tex] f(y) \int K(x,dy) \mu(dx) = \int f(y) K(x,dy) \mu(dx) [/tex]

as f(y) is a real number. But I don't think that's quite right; and definitely not rigorous enough for my tastes.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution:We can prove (c) by showing that \int f(y) \nu(dy) \geq \int [\int f(y) K(x,dy)] \mu (dx) and \int f(y) \nu(dy) \leq \int [\int f(y) K(x,dy)] \mu (dx). For the first inequality, we have \begin{align*}\int f(y) \nu(dy) &= \int \left[ \int K(x,dy) \mu(dx) \right] f(y) dy \\&\leq \int \left[ \int K(x,dy) \mu(dx)f(y) \right] dy \\&= \int \left[ \int f(y)K(x,dy) \mu(dx) \right] dx\end{align*}where we used the fact that $K(x,dy)$ is a measure for each $x$ and $K(x,dy) \mu(dx)$ is a measure over $dy$ for each fixed $x$, so that it can be pulled out of the integral with $f$. For the second inequality, we have \begin{align*}\int f(y) \nu(dy) &= \int \left[ \int K(x,dy) \mu(dx) \right] f(y) dy \\&\geq \int \left[ \int \min(f(y),K(x,dy)) \mu(dx) \right] dy \\&= \int \left[ \int \min(f(y),K(x,dy)) \mu(dx)f(y) \right] dy \\&= \int \left[ \int f(y) \min(f(y),K(x,dy)) \mu(dx) \right] dx \\&= \int \left[ \int f(y)K(x,dy) \mu(dx) \right] dx\end{align*

1. What is measure theory and why is it important?

Measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concept of measuring sets and their properties. It provides a rigorous framework for defining and studying the size or extent of sets, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics, including probability, analysis, and geometry.

2. What is a kernel mapping in measure theory?

A kernel mapping is a function that assigns a measure to a set. It is used to generalize the concept of integration to more abstract spaces, such as infinite-dimensional spaces. In measure theory, the kernel mapping determines the size or measure of a set, and it plays a crucial role in many theorems and proofs.

3. How is the kernel mapping related to the concept of a measure?

The kernel mapping is closely related to the concept of a measure. A measure is a function that assigns a non-negative value to a set, while the kernel mapping assigns a measure to a set. In other words, the kernel mapping is a tool for defining and calculating measures in measure theory.

4. What is the significance of the Radon-Nikodym theorem in measure theory?

The Radon-Nikodym theorem is a fundamental result in measure theory that provides a way to compare two measures on the same space. It states that if two measures have the same kernel mapping, then they are equivalent, meaning that they assign the same measure to each set in the space. This theorem is essential in many areas of mathematics, such as probability theory and functional analysis.

5. How does the concept of a sigma-algebra relate to kernel mappings?

A sigma-algebra is a collection of sets that is closed under countable unions and complements. In measure theory, a sigma-algebra is used to define the type of sets that the kernel mapping can measure. The sigma-algebra of measurable sets is crucial in ensuring that the kernel mapping is well-defined and that it follows certain properties, such as countable additivity.