Baby it's cold outside

by Evo
Tags: baby, cold, evo
Share this thread:
turbo
Jan23-13, 09:59 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
11 am, and the temperature is almost up to 5 deg F. The woodstove is getting a workout.

Edit: I'll have to move the sensor for the electronic thermometer. The alcohol thermometer at the back of the house is still reading below zero.
KrisOhn
Jan23-13, 11:00 AM
P: 269
Went for my coldest run yet, we're getting to the coldest part of the winter here now.

Weather report (Celsius):

How I looked afterwards:

This was a fairly short run though, only 1.5km warmup with 25 minutes of intervals afterwards.
turbo
Jan31-13, 07:08 AM
PF Gold
It's not that cold out today, but wild. Heavy rain with strong, gusty winds and 52 degrees. We have already lost power twice in the past 10 minutes, though the auto-resets restored it both times. I have a laptop. We'll see how long the UPS can power my wireless router...
Drakkith
Feb1-13, 01:15 AM
Mentor
P: 11,892
I ran outside today. I wore shorts and a T-Shirt and worked up a sweat. I was tempted to turn the AC on in my truck afterwards on the drive home. Yay winter!
Ouabache
Feb6-13, 10:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,326
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
It's not that cold out today, but wild.
As cooler temps abate slightly, I note southern sections of NH & ME are expecting
1-2ft of snow as two low pressure systems collide, bringing in a good old
fashion Nor'easter. There's still time to check the oil and tire pressure on the snow plow.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb7-13, 09:46 AM
P: 2,179
We're expecting a lot of snow Friday night and into Saturday morning. Snow will reach from the sky all the way down to ground level.
turbo
Feb7-13, 01:11 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
We're expecting a lot of snow Friday night and into Saturday morning. Snow will reach from the sky all the way down to ground level.
That's a lot. I hope you know how to tunnel.
turbo
Feb7-13, 01:13 PM
PF Gold
It has just reached ~20 deg here, though walking Duke was no fun, with the wind. I am hating winter.

Actually, I looked at a bi-metallic-strip thermometer while checking the mail, and it looks like we just made it to 10 deg F in the shade.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb7-13, 01:27 PM
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
That's a lot. I hope you know how to tunnel.
Tunneling's not the issue. It's trying to run between the falling snowflakes.
jtbell
Feb7-13, 01:44 PM
Mentor
P: 11,786
This is supposedly from Michigan's U.P.:

I read once that when the snow gets piled up high enough on both sides of the sidewalks up there, they lay boards across the top and let more snow fall on top to create snow tunnels. I haven't found any pictures, though, so this may be just a U.P. tall tale.
Borg
Feb7-13, 02:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 771
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
This is supposedly from Michigan's U.P.:

I read once that when the snow gets piled up high enough on both sides of the sidewalks up there, they lay boards across the top and let more snow fall on top to create snow tunnels. I haven't found any pictures, though, so this may be just a U.P. tall tale.
I lived there for four years and never saw it that deep. I did see piles like that but not entire roadways. I also heard the stories about snow tunnels on the sidewalks but never saw that either. When I was there, I heard that there was a freak snowstorm the year before where snowflakes were the size of dinner plates. I wish I had seen that!

Average for the season was about 200 inches but the last year that I was there, we got that by Christmas. I think that we got 300 inches (25 feet) that season which was pretty close to a record. Also, I was in the Keweenaw peninsula which gets significantly more snow from lake effect than the rest of the UP.

BTW, here's a web cam from the Michigan Tech campus if you want to see it live.
Borek
Feb7-13, 04:03 PM
Admin
P: 23,599
We got around 6 inches in the last 12 hours. There was no snow at all in the morning.
Drakkith
Feb7-13, 04:47 PM
Mentor
P: 11,892
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
We got around 6 inches in the last 12 hours. There was no snow at all in the morning.
Dang, all it did was rain here last night and I almost had to turn the AC on in my apartment when I got home today.

I've never been in snow more than about 1 inch thick. If that.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb7-13, 04:53 PM
It's overrated.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb7-13, 07:34 PM
Things are going to deteriorate tonight. There will be melting snow starting at 3:00 am and turning to freezing rain at 6:00 am. For the next three hours there will be a mixture of rain/snow and snow/rain, turning later to snow/rain and rain/snow. At 9:00 am, expect rain dear, with scattered toys. From 9:07 to 9:13 there will be a chance of hail with hailstones roughly the size of Texas. From 9:37 until 9:45 there will be freezing temperatures and a windchill of 74F. Rain will continue all day turning to snow at 9:00 pm and continuing until 9:00 am Saturday.
Evo
Feb7-13, 08:23 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Things are going to deteriorate tonight. There will be melting snow starting at 3:00 am and turning to freezing rain at 6:00 am. For the next three hours there will be a mixture of rain/snow and snow/rain, turning later to snow/rain and rain/snow. At 9:00 am, expect rain dear, with scattered toys. From 9:07 to 9:13 there will be a chance of hail with hailstones roughly the size of Texas. From 9:37 until 9:45 there will be freezing temperatures and a windchill of 74F. Rain will continue all day turning to snow at 9:00 pm and continuing until 9:00 am Saturday.

It's nice here. <sips her tea>
lisab
Feb7-13, 08:41 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
No weather here.
G01
Feb7-13, 09:21 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,685
We in New England are preparing for snowmageddon to start tomorrow morning.

I can't wait to sleep in late, get nothing done, and make a nice breakfast (with lots of bacon). You know, a regular grad student day, but with bacon.

Register to reply