Optimization - help needed setting up a system of equations?

In summary: I don't know. In summary, at a speed of 50 mph, the truck gets 4 miles per gallon, but loses .1 mile per gallon for every 10 mph over that. At a speed of 55 mph, the truck gets 4.5 miles per gallon, but loses .01 mile per gallon for every 10 mph over that. The optimum speed between 50 mph and 65 mph is 55 mph.
therest

Homework Statement

A truck driving over a flat interstate at a constant rate of 50 mph gets 4 miles to the gallon. Fuel costs $0.89 per gallon. For each mile per hour increase in speed, the truck loses a tenth of a mile per gallon of its mileage. Drivers get $27.50 per hour in wages, and the fixed costs for running the truck amount to $11.33 per hour. What constant speed, between 50 mph and 65 mph, should the dispatcher require on a straight run through 260 miles of Kansas interstate to minimize the total cost of operating the truck?

Homework Equations

50 mph for 4 miles/gallon $0.89/gallon cost
1 mph increase in speed --> -(1/10) decrease in mile/gallon mileage
$27.50/hr drivers' wages + $11.33/hr cost to operate = $38.83/hr cost (cost goes up with time)
38.83 = dc/dt ?

The Attempt at a Solution

We're looking for optimum cost (C), I think.
I am really stumped with a system of equations for this one.

I could probably go a lot further with this one on my own if I just had a place to start. Does anyone have any enlightening thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
therest said:

Homework Statement

A truck driving over a flat interstate at a constant rate of 50 mph gets 4 miles to the gallon. Fuel costs $0.89 per gallon. For each mile per hour increase in speed, the truck loses a tenth of a mile per gallon of its mileage. Drivers get $27.50 per hour in wages, and the fixed costs for running the truck amount to $11.33 per hour. What constant speed, between 50 mph and 65 mph, should the dispatcher require on a straight run through 260 miles of Kansas interstate to minimize the total cost of operating the truck?

Homework Equations

50 mph for 4 miles/gallon $0.89/gallon cost
1 mph increase in speed --> -(1/10) decrease in mile/gallon mileage
$27.50/hr drivers' wages + $11.33/hr cost to operate = $38.83/hr cost (cost goes up with time)
38.83 = dc/dt ?

The Attempt at a Solution

We're looking for optimum cost (C), I think.
I am really stumped with a system of equations for this one.

I could probably go a lot further with this one on my own if I just had a place to start. Does anyone have any enlightening thoughts?
At 50 mph, the truck gets 4 m/g but loses .1 m/g for each 10 mph above that: v- 50 is "mph above 50" and (v- 50)/10 measures how many 10 mph above 50. At speed v, the truck gets 4- .1(v-50)/10= 4- .01v+ .5= 4.5- .01v mpg. That is the same as 1/(4.5- .01v) gallons per mile. Since each gallon of gas cost $0.89 (this is an old problem!) the cost would be .89/(4.5- .01v) dollars per mile. Sice the total trip is 260 miles, the cost of gas would be 260(.89)/(4.5- .01v)= 231.4/(4.5- .01v) dollars.

At v mph, 260 miles would take 260/v hours and so the driver would be payed 27.50(260)/v= 7150/v dollars.

Since the truck costs an additional 11.33 per hour to run, that is 11.33(260)/v= 2945.8 dollars.

Add those to get the total cost of the trip, the function to be optimized.

Wow, thank you! That makes complete sense. I think.

Last edited:

1. What is optimization and why is it important?

Optimization is the process of finding the best solution to a problem, often with the use of mathematical techniques. It is important because it allows us to maximize efficiency and minimize costs in various real-world applications, such as engineering, economics, and business.

2. How do you set up a system of equations for optimization?

To set up a system of equations for optimization, you first need to identify the variables involved in the problem and determine the objective function, which is the function that represents what you are trying to optimize. Then, you can use constraints, which are limitations or conditions that must be satisfied, to create a system of equations that includes the objective function and the constraints.

3. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear optimization?

Linear optimization involves finding the best solution to a problem with linear constraints, which means that the variables involved have a linear relationship. Nonlinear optimization, on the other hand, allows for more complex relationships between the variables and the objective function. This often requires more advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

4. What are some common techniques used in optimization?

Some common techniques used in optimization include linear programming, quadratic programming, and gradient descent. Other approaches may include dynamic programming, genetic algorithms, and simulated annealing.

5. Can optimization be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, optimization is widely used in various industries and fields to solve real-world problems. For example, it can be used to optimize supply chain management, resource allocation, scheduling, and many other tasks that involve making decisions to achieve the best possible outcome.