Sunday is valentine's day

by Evo
Tags: sunday, valentine
Evo
Feb13-10, 12:20 PM
Mentor
P: 25,961
Do you have any plans? I don't. I'm not expecting to get anything either. The only person that's ever sent me a Valentine's gift was zooby and they were wonderful.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
BobG
Feb13-10, 12:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
A smart man breaks up the week before Valentine's Day so he doesn't have to buy a Valentine's Day gift. Do you know how much flowers cost nowadays?!

Oh, well, March 14th is only a month away.

(Okay, I'll admit it. In spite of my bad attitude, I actually do have plans for Valentine's Day. I just feel like a sucker for supporting a holiday that was probably invented by Hallmark and FTD. Who the heck is St. Valentine, anyway?!)
Evo
Feb13-10, 12:43 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
A smart man breaks up the week before Valentine's Day so he doesn't have to buy a Valentine's Day gift. Do you know how much flowers cost nowadays?!

(Okay, I'll admit it. In spite of my bad attitude, I actually do have plans for Valentine's Day. I just feel like a sucker for supporting a holiday that was probably invented by Hallmark and FTD. Who the heck is St. Valentine, anyway?!)
Oooh, is this a new romance?

BobG
Feb13-10, 12:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper

Sunday is valentine's day

Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Oooh, is this a new romance?
Naw, she's about the same age as me.
Evo
Feb13-10, 01:07 PM
Mentor
Naw, she's about the same age as me.
theJorge551
Feb13-10, 03:43 PM
P: 63
Haha, nope. Like yourself, i'm not expecting anything either...worse when the one person in a long time I've tried to establish a relationship with completely and utterly disregards my existence, even when i go all out with flowers and the works :/
Jimmy Snyder
Feb13-10, 07:00 PM
P: 2,163
It's also Chinese New Year. Not only do I have to buy chocolates, but also I have to give out red envelopes (with money in them). This is the year of the Tiger, and I am a tiger. I guess that, along with the clues in the Memories of Childhood thread, fixes my age.
rootX
Feb13-10, 10:37 PM
P: 1,295
Nothing special other than staying all day in the library preparing for my exams
Pinu7
Feb13-10, 11:50 PM
P: 270
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
Nothing special other than staying all day in the library preparing for my exams
Until you got a tap on the shoulder from the hot young librarian, where she tells you to "stop being so loud; it is a library." You respond with "but I am not being noisy." Now she grins and whispers "oh we will...."
Math Is Hard
Feb13-10, 11:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921
I really meant to send out "little kid valentine cards" this year but I lost track of time. I found some cool Barbie ones.
rootX
Feb14-10, 12:00 AM
P: 1,295
Quote Quote by Pinu7 View Post
Until you got a tap on the shoulder from the hot young librarian, where she tells you to "stop being so loud; it is a library." You respond with "but I am not being noisy." Now she grins and whispers "oh we will...."
There is nothing like "a hot young librarian". It does not exist but maybe in movies ... :(
BobG
Feb14-10, 07:02 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
I love librarians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB4HvVEMFig
turbo
Feb14-10, 08:15 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
My wife and I celebrated yesterday. I made spicy marinated-grilled jumbo shrimp, she made some German sugar cookies (grossmutters) filled with lemon curd for us and the neighbors, and we made some crunchy whole-wheat peanut butter cookies (natural peanut butter with no sugar or salt) for Duke and his doggie-buddies Max and Roadie.
George Jones
Feb14-10, 08:32 AM
Mentor
P: 6,044
We're just about to go out for our usual Sunday brunch of bagels, doughnuts, coffee (wife), and tea (me). For supper, we'll go out somewhere, probably some place not too busy.
Ivan Seeking
Feb14-10, 08:39 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
Do you know how much flowers cost nowadays?!
$42 for a dozen red roses.

$9 for the champagne truffles. [little tiny truffles, but good!]
Ivan Seeking
Feb14-10, 08:54 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493

Legend has it that St. Valentine was a Catholic priest - later cannonized a saint - who ignored an order to stop all marriages; married young couples in secret; was discovered, and later executed, on Feb 14th. The young lovers whom he had married brought him red roses while he was awaiting his fate. His letters home from prison were signed, "from your Valentine".

It could also be related to "the day" that birds pair up.
Lisa!
Feb14-10, 11:40 AM
PF Gold
P: 971

Any suggestion for married men?

Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post

It could also be related to "the day" that birds pair up.
Oh thanks! I didn't know this part!
radou
Feb14-10, 11:52 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,225
Huh, and what's with birthdays and Christmas?

Register to reply