Angle between two diagonals of a cube.

• Thread starter mary.neola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Cube
In summary, the angle between the diagonals of the back and left faces of a cube with one vertex on the origin is 90 degrees. This is because the diagonals bisect the angles of the cube, and since it is a cube, every vertex forms a 90 degree angle. Using the formula a.b = abcosθ, it can be seen that the norm of the vectors is the same and therefore, cosθ = 1. This means that the angle between the diagonals is 90 degrees.
mary.neola
Find the angle between the diagonals of the back and left faces of a cube with one vertex on the origin.

A) 60 degrees
B) arcos(1/sqrt(6))
C) arcos(1/(3sqrt(2))
D) 90 degrees
E) 120 degrees.

I think the answer should be D) 90 degrees. Since these vectors are diagonals on the face of the cube, they bisect the angles of the cube. The since it is a cube every vertex forms a 90 degree angle.

Can someone tell me if I am correct.I know the formula for the cos(theta) using the dot product but the problem is i do not know the coordinates of this cube all I know one vertex is on the origin. But these vectors must be the same legnth right? if they lie on the faces of the cube.

but then if you use a.b = abcosθ, a=b... So the norm(a) * norm(b) is really a^2 and a dot b is really a^2 as well..

This leaves you with cos(theta) = 1... which mean theta is 0 which is not possible.. can someone help please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mary ! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a degree: º :wink:)
mary.neola said:
Find the angle between the diagonals of the back and left faces of a cube with one vertex on the origin.

hint: use a.b = abcosθ (or draw the triangle, and then look at it!) :smile:

What is the angle between two diagonals of a cube?

The angle between two diagonals of a cube is approximately 109.47 degrees.

How do you calculate the angle between two diagonals of a cube?

The angle between two diagonals of a cube can be calculated using the formula arccos(1/3) or by using trigonometric functions such as tan, sin, or cos.

Why is the angle between two diagonals of a cube important?

The angle between two diagonals of a cube is important in mathematics and engineering, as it helps in determining the angles and measurements of the cube's faces and edges.

What is the relationship between the angle between two diagonals of a cube and the cube's side length?

The angle between two diagonals of a cube is inversely proportional to the cube's side length. This means that as the side length increases, the angle between the diagonals decreases and vice versa.

Can the angle between two diagonals of a cube be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the angle between two diagonals of a cube cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because the angle between two intersecting lines cannot be greater than 90 degrees.