Understanding vectors and gibberish

• Thread starter Venito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary: Here it is in matrix form.If you solve for x, you'll get that x=b. And if you solve for y, you'll get that y=a.B. 12 units is the distance from the origin (0,0) to the point. So if you drew a straight line from (0,0) to the point B the length of that would = 12.C. The midpoint of AB is (6,12).D. The vector equation of the line y=2x+4 in parametric form is
Venito

Homework Statement

For the line y=2x+4

A, find the posiotion vector of the point A, on the line, Which is 6 units from the origin in the 1st quadrant. Express your answer in:

i.] Matrix form. [Never done matrix]

ii.] the form OA [Line with arrow pointing right above it.] = xi +yj

B, Find the position vector for the point B on the line, which is 12 units from the origin in the 3rd quadrant. Express your answer in,

i.] Matrix

ii.] the form OB [Line above it facing right.]

C, Find the cordinates of the mid point of AB.

d, what is the vector equation of the line y=2x+4 in parametric form?

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know I am nearly 19. Finished school 2 years ago and am now working a 5am-5pm job manuel not pen pushing an just find it hard to study and remeber when I am working.
So forgive me for F%%$ing up.

Right apart from just drawing the graph of y=2x+4 that is all I get.
I think they are meaning to add a point 6 units from the 0 middle point on graph. But not sure.

Which would give me a rectangle. Point starting from -2,0 0,6 14,6. That is if I have done it right. I have done it x,y. That they right way around.

What on Earth do I do from here if I am right?

Cheers,

mac

Physics news on Phys.org
Venito said:

Homework Statement

For the line y=2x+4

A, find the posiotion vector of the point A, on the line, Which is 6 units from the origin in the 1st quadrant. Express your answer in:

i.] Matrix form. [Never done matrix]

ii.] the form OA [Line with arrow pointing right above it.] = xi +yj

B, Find the position vector for the point B on the line, which is 12 units from the origin in the 3rd quadrant. Express your answer in,

i.] Matrix

ii.] the form OB [Line above it facing right.]

C, Find the cordinates of the mid point of AB.

d, what is the vector equation of the line y=2x+4 in parametric form?

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know I am nearly 19. Finished school 2 years ago and am now working a 5am-5pm job manuel not pen pushing an just find it hard to study and remeber when I am working.
So forgive me for F%%$ing up.

Right apart from just drawing the graph of y=2x+4 that is all I get.
I think they are meaning to add a point 6 units from the 0 middle point on graph. But not sure.

Which would give me a rectangle. Point starting from -2,0 0,6 14,6. That is if I have done it right. I have done it x,y. That they right way around.

What on Earth do I do from here if I am right?

Cheers,

mac

First off it might make it easier to graph y = 2x + 4.

A. 6 units is the distance from the origin (0,0) to the point. So if you drew a straight line from (0,0) to the point A the length of that would = 6. That distance can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. Just draw a dot at a random point in the first quadrant (top right) and draw a line from the origin to it. Then make a right triangle. You will see the sides of the triangle are of size x and y. Then use Pythagorean theorem to get the distance.

I think the two parts is just notation. The line above the OB means it is a vector [tex] \vec{OB} [/tex] Once you solve for x and y from Pythagorean put those into xi +yj and leave the i and j there. The i and j just mean they are vectors going in the x and y directions respectively. i stands for the x direction and j stands for the y direction. For matrix form either [tex]

\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
x & y
\end{array}
\right)

\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
x\\
y
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]
either one for whatever your x and y values are.

so let's start with A i.)

first, always start by drawing a picture

Now draw the line y=2x+4
Then draw a circle of radius 6, with centre (0,0)
You're looking for where the line and circle intersect.
There will be 2 intersection points.
The question asks for the first quandrant, that is just the upper right section of the coordinate axes where both x & y are positive.

You can solve for this by writing the equation of a circle of radius 6
[tex] x^2 + y^2 = 6^2 [/tex]

use the equation of a line to substitute in and solve for x or y
if you find the solution is:
x=a, y = b
i) then in matrix form it will be (a,b) (or vertically with a & b on top of each other)
ii) write the same numbers as ai+bj

Last edited:
Thank you all very much. That makes much clearer sence.

mac

1. What are vectors and how are they used in science?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In science, they are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and displacement, which have both size and direction. Vectors are important because they allow us to describe and analyze the physical world more accurately.

2. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, such as temperature or mass. A vector, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction. This means that a vector can be represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

3. How do you add and subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first break them down into their components, which are the horizontal and vertical parts of the vector. Then, you can add or subtract the corresponding components to get the resultant vector. This is often done graphically by placing the vectors tip-to-tail and drawing a line from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the second vector, with the resultant vector being the line from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the last vector.

4. What is gibberish and why is it important in science?

Gibberish is a term used to describe meaningless or nonsensical language. In science, it is often used in the context of computer programming or coding, where it refers to a string of characters that does not have any logical or meaningful structure. Gibberish is important in science because it allows us to test and troubleshoot complex systems and algorithms, and can also reveal patterns or errors that may not be apparent in regular language.

5. How are vectors and gibberish related?

Vectors and gibberish are not directly related, as they are two different concepts. However, vectors can be used to represent and manipulate data in computer programming, which may include strings of gibberish. Additionally, vectors can also be used to analyze and visualize data in fields such as natural language processing, which deals with understanding and processing human language, including gibberish.