Proving Zin Equation for Ideal Gyrator Circuit

• Thread starter Law91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, we discussed a circuit involving a gyrator that is equivalent to an inductor of 11.11mH. By assuming ideal op amps and stable circuit conditions, we showed that Zin = (Z1*Z3*Z5) / (Z2*Z4). We also discussed the equations for V1 and V2 and used them to prove the expression for Zin. Additionally, we solved for Vout/Vin in a similar circuit with a capacitor and resistors, obtaining the expression Vout/Vin = 1 - ( 1/jwC x R4) / (R1R3), which can be simplified to Vout/Vin = 1 - R4 / R1R
Law91
Hi,

i have this gyrator circuit that is equivalent to an inductor of 11.11mH and I am required to show that if the opamps are ideal and assuming that the circuit is stable that
Zin = (Z1*Z3*Z5) / (Z2*Z4)
ive got for an ideal opamp that i+ = i- = 0 and that Aol = infinity

the ciruit is posted below..
any assistance would be greatly appreciated in proving Zin

Attachments

• gyrator circuit.jpg
    gyrator circuit.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 586
Engineering news on Phys.org
You should try something first, to get some help.

What's the output from the first op amp given Z1, Z2, and vin?

hi,

well for the first op-amp using just vin,Z1 and Z2 i ended up with 1+Z2/Z1 but I am not sure if that's correct...
i also tried using this circuit attached... to get Zin = (Z1+Z5) / Z2 but again not sure if that's correct or allowed..

Attachments

• gyrator circuit1.jpg
    gyrator circuit1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 529
Call the output of the first op amp v1. Call the output of the second op amp v2.

You're first answer is sort of correct. For a sanity check, see that your units match. You have a voltage equal to a unitless quantity.

The correct result is v1 = vin(1+Z2/Z1)

The gain of the first stage is not a direct function of Z5. However vin is a function of Z5, so that eventually Z5 enters into the solution.

The second stage is not too much harder than the first. What is v2 as a function of vin, v1, Z3 and Z4?

It's time I get some sleep, so... I'm gone for a while.

ok so for v2 i ended up with v2 = Vin ( 1 + Z4/Z3) + V1

and because V1 = Vin ( 1 + Z2/Z1)

which then equates to V2 = Vin ( 1 + Z4/Z3) + ( Vin ( 1 + Z2/Z1))

should i leave it in terms of V1 or should i evaluate V1...

Then should the final solution just be the combination of V1 and V2 ie V1+V2 along with Z5 added in ?

Try the equation for V2 again. You might notice that V2 shouldn't contribute directly to V1 but depend upon impedance.

Remember that the current through Z3 is equal to the current through Z4. The voltage at the positive input is equal to V1 and the voltage at the negative input is also V1.

so should v2 = Vin ( -V1/Z3 + V1/Z4) ?

im at a loss as to what v2 should be

That's not it. You only need to recall two circuit laws: Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) and I=V/Z.

First you find the current through Z3. The voltage across Z3 is V1 - Vin. I = (V1 - Vin)/Z3.

There is no current in or out of the op amp. The current through Z3 all flows through Z4. IZ4= Vin-V2. Eliminate the current from these two equations and solve for V2.

Remember to check that you have units of voltage on both sides of the equation.

well using (Z3) V1-Vin.I and (Z4) IZ4=Vin-V2

Because the current through Z3 = Current through Z4
then:
(V1-Vin)/Z3 = (Vin-V2)/Z4

V2/Z4 = (-V1+Vin)/Z3 + Vin/Z4

V2 = Z4 x ( (-V1+Vin)/Z3 ) + Z4 x ( Vin/Z4 )

V2 = ( Z4(-V1+Vin))/Z3 +Vin

so
V2 = Vin + (Z4(-V1+Vin))/Z3 ?

Good. That's the answer.

Now that you have both V1 and V2 (which is Vout) you can solve for Vout as function of Vin.

just a quick clarification,

with v1 = Vin(1+Z2/Z3) AND v2 = Vin + (Z4(-V1+Vin))/Z3

should i evaluate v2 by substituting in the value of v1 before i solve vout as a function of vin or should i go on and just solve vout as a function of vin

I should have warned you I was hitting the sack...

Substitute V1 into the second equation.

ok so i finally got to proving that Zin = Z1Z3Z5/Z2Z4...

another question in determing Vout/Vin for the attached circuit where Z2 = capacitor and
Z1,Z3,Z4,Z5 = resistors

i got the current i1 = current i2
where i1 = Vin/Z1 and i2=(V1-Vin)/Z2
so from those two equations v1 = Vin(1+Z2/Z1)

and the current i3=current i4
where i3 = (v1-vin)/z3 and i4 = (vin-vout)/Z4
so again v1= [Z3(Vin-Vout) + Z4Vin] / Z4

equating both v1
Vin(1+Z2/Z1) = [Z3(Vin-Vout) + Z4Vin] / Z4

Z3Vout = Z4x(Z3Vin/Z4) - Z4x(VinZ2/Z1)

Vout = VinZ3/Z3 - Vin [(Z2Z4)/Z1] / Z3

Vout = Vin - Vin( Z2Z4/Z1Z3)

dividing through by Vin

Vout/Vin = 1 - Z2Z4/Z1Z3

Vout/Vin = 1 - ( 1/jwC x R4) / (R1R3)

Vout/Vin = 1 - R4 / R1R3C(jw)

just wondering whether this is the right expression for Vout/Vin

Attachments

• gyrator circuit2.jpg
    gyrator circuit2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 507
Law91 said:
ok so i finally got to proving that Zin = Z1Z3Z5/Z2Z4...
Well done. I also solved for Zin and confirmed the result.

another question in determing Vout/Vin for the attached circuit where Z2 = capacitor and
Z1,Z3,Z4,Z5 = resistors

i got the current i1 = current i2
where i1 = Vin/Z1 and i2=(V1-Vin)/Z2
so from those two equations v1 = Vin(1+Z2/Z1)

and the current i3=current i4
where i3 = (v1-vin)/z3 and i4 = (vin-vout)/Z4
so again v1= [Z3(Vin-Vout) + Z4Vin] / Z4

equating both v1
Vin(1+Z2/Z1) = [Z3(Vin-Vout) + Z4Vin] / Z4

Z3Vout = Z4x(Z3Vin/Z4) - Z4x(VinZ2/Z1)

Vout = VinZ3/Z3 - Vin [(Z2Z4)/Z1] / Z3

Vout = Vin - Vin( Z2Z4/Z1Z3)[/quote]

Good. This is the result you could have obtained by substituting V1 into Vout=V2 in the previous problem, expressing Vout as a function of Vin.

dividing through by Vin

Vout/Vin = 1 - Z2Z4/Z1Z3

Vout/Vin = 1 - ( 1/jwC x R4) / (R1R3)

Vout/Vin = 1 - R4 / R1R3C(jw)

just wondering whether this is the right expression for Vout/Vin

That's correct. Usually we want to express the right hand side as the sum of a real part and an imaginary part. This is what you actually have, but we want the imaginary j in the numerator. Multiply the fraction R4/R1R3C(jw) by -j/-j to put it in standard form and you're done.

The circuit you've been analyzing is a generalized impedance converter (GIC):

http://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/electron/elect66.htm

There are 24 different arrangements of 2 opamps and 5 impedances to realize a GIC. See the attachment.

They all have the same impedance expression at the top node, but most are not stable. Your circuit is the one designated B2B.

Attachments

• GIC.gif
    GIC.gif
    46.7 KB · Views: 557
Thanks for the nice read, Electrician. Long ago some old duck told that the set of passive components was incomplete without negative reistance, and mumbled something about gyrators and differential equations. I had no idea what what he was talking about at the time. Now I'm slightly better educated.

ok so in designing simulating and implementing the circuit with Z2 a capacitor between 10pf and 500pf and the rest being resistors between 0.1K and 10K making the circuit look like an inductor of 11.11mH using a +-12V power supply I am having trouble making it look like an inductor of value 11.11mH.

using L = (Z1Z3Z5) / (Z2Z4)
L = (R1R3R5) / (1/jwC R4)
L = C(R1R3R5) / R4 (jw)
using R1 = R3 = R5 = 1305ohm and R4 = 0.1K and C=500pF

i get 0.011112238H = 11.112238mH
but in using these values of resistors its impratical to implement for this purpose so i was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions on what values to use so its simply implemented and tested using readily available resistors and capacitors without the need to use resistors in seriers/parallel to create intended value

What is it about those component values that is impractical?

Related to Proving Zin Equation for Ideal Gyrator Circuit

1. What is the Zin equation for an ideal gyrator circuit?

The Zin equation for an ideal gyrator circuit is given by Zin = (R1*R2)/R3, where R1 and R2 are the input resistances and R3 is the equivalent load resistance.

2. Why is proving the Zin equation important for an ideal gyrator circuit?

Proving the Zin equation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of an ideal gyrator circuit and how the input and output resistances interact with each other to produce the desired output. It also allows us to design and analyze these circuits more accurately.

3. How can the Zin equation be derived for an ideal gyrator circuit?

The Zin equation can be derived by using the basic principles of circuit analysis, such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. It involves setting up and solving a system of equations to determine the equivalent input resistance of the circuit.

4. What are the assumptions made for an ideal gyrator circuit when deriving the Zin equation?

The main assumptions made for an ideal gyrator circuit when deriving the Zin equation are that there is no resistance or loss in the components, and that the input and output impedances are purely resistive. In addition, the circuit is assumed to be operating at a single frequency.

5. Can the Zin equation be used for non-ideal gyrator circuits?

While the Zin equation is specifically derived for ideal gyrator circuits, it can still be used as an approximation for non-ideal circuits. However, the accuracy of the equation may decrease due to the presence of additional resistances and other non-idealities in the circuit.