Newmark's method to solve a system of spring elements

by mina1363
Tags: newmark's method
mina1363
Jun1-10, 05:41 AM
P: 14
Hi,

I have been trying to solve a system consisting of 3 linear spring elements using the Newmark's method to find displacement, velocity and acceleration in Matlab. I followed the instructions shown on page 5 of the paper attached and my code does not seem to be working as the displacement values keep increasing. Does anyone know whether the instructions I am using are correct....??? Also does anyone know a similar system for which a code has been written already so that I can compare my results.

p.s. I've aslo attached the equation of motionfor a single element. Effectively I have similar system including 4 by 4 mass and stuffness matrices and 4 by 1 displacement and acceleration matrices.

Any hints and tips would be appreciated.

Many Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dynamics Analysis by Numercial Integration.pdf (212.5 KB, 326 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
zyroph
Jun5-10, 11:56 AM
P: 2
As far as I remember (it was 2 years ago), I relied on the same document and I think that I had the same issue with it.

I have attached a draft of mine that I found were you can have at least another version of the algorithm. Actually this part is based on another thesis.

You can also check Bathe's "Finite Element Procedures" where there's a another version.

Let me know if you still have problems...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf chapter.pdf (148.4 KB, 238 views)
mina1363
Jun6-10, 08:18 AM
Thank you for your reply.
I think the steps shown in the document you attached are essentially the same only that they are for a free vibration system with no damping...rather than a forced one...
I'm going to chekc out the other one you mentioned now.

mina1363
Jun10-10, 03:44 PM

Newmark's method to solve a system of spring elements

Hi,
Thank you for mentioning Bathe's book. So I used Newmark's algorithm from :
Bathe, K.-J., (1996), Finite Element Procedures, Prentice-Hall International, page 781 and I did example 9.4 using the simple code I wrote and I got the answers. But I only managed to get the answers because when calculating the effective load, I calculated it for time 't' rather than time 't+deltat' . If I used 't+deltat' I would get really big displacement values. Do you have any idea why this is happening???
prashast
Sep10-10, 11:27 AM
P: 5
@ mina 1363
hi,i have been doing a similar problem and encountered an exactly similar hurdle.of displacemnts increasing continuoulsy.Can you tell me how you handled this problem
mina1363
Sep11-10, 03:21 PM
Hi,

The example in Bathe, K.-J., (1996), Finite Element Procedures is applied to a case with a cosntant force. Unfortuantely I haven't done one for a vairable force yet.

Regards,
prashast
Sep11-10, 03:34 PM
I had a small doubt.Coincidently even I did my initial matlab code using the algorithm you used initially ;from the document you have attached.Is there any problem with it?Is it wrong?
mina1363
Sep11-10, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure to be honest but at least with the one form the Finite Element Procedures book you can check your algorithm (for a constant force) by doing the example in the book.
If you don't have access to the book try www.scribd.com
prashast
Sep15-10, 02:39 PM
@mina1363
hey thanks a lot!!that definately helped..Seems the initial algorithm has a problem.But I am getting correct value till around 6 "delta t"...not till 12 as given..any clue..why......hey if its possible for you can you send me the matlab code you have written..maybe i m somewhere wrong with the code...my email id is.... prashastpjain@gmail.com
mina1363
Sep20-10, 02:17 AM
Hi, I don't have access to my code right now. If you wish send me your code and I'll have a look at it by all means.
prashast
Sep20-10, 03:52 AM
I m sending you the code in both the ".txt" nd ".m" format....do let me know if there's any error.Your help will mean a lot.
Attached Files
File Type: txt newmark beta method.txt (672 Bytes, 160 views)
File Type: m newmark_B.m (672 Bytes, 142 views)
prashast
Sep24-10, 05:51 AM
hello mina...

i hvnt heard from you.Any luck with the code???do let me know..
mina1363
Sep24-10, 06:40 AM
Hi,

I'm sorry I've not had chance to look at it yet. I will look at it this afternoon and will let you know asap.
mina1363
Sep27-10, 05:18 AM
Hi,

I had a look at your code. Everything seems fine. Althought I'm not familiar with the choleski function in Matlab as I just wrote my own algorithm. So make sure that the function gives you L and D. The other thing that I didn't use is the substitution function. Again I'm not sure how that works but make sure that you use backward and forward substitution.

Best of Luck.
terrorruban
Nov10-11, 06:51 AM
P: 1
How we can apply Newmark Method for Multiple degrees of freedom
h_nokhostin
Jul2-12, 12:58 AM
P: 1
Hi,
I'm working on "numerical solving the coupled thermoelasticity equation". for time integratio I use newmark method, but I have problem with boundary conditions. Does anyoe know, when should I impose boundary conditions?

Register to reply