Newton's Laws and Net Force: Checking My Understanding

In summary, for the first question, an object cannot remain at rest unless the net force acting on it is zero. For the second question, if a block is moving to the left at a constant velocity, the net force applied to the block is directed to the left. For the third question, a block of mass 2kg is acted upon by two forces: 3N (directed to the left) and 4N (directed to the right). The correct answer is actually D, as the block could be moving to the left, to the right, or at rest. For the fourth question, a massive block being pulled along a horizontal frictionless surface by a constant horizontal force must be moving with a constant acceleration,
CellCoree
please help me check my answers, cause if i get one answer wrong, it's a big point deduction. i don't really like doing my homework online.

here it goes...
1.) An object cannot remain at rest unless which of the following holds?
A.)The net force acting on it is zero.
B.) The net force acting on it is constant
C.) There are no forces at all acting on it
D.) There is only one force acting on it.
for #1, i got A

2.) If a block is moving to the left at a constant velocity, what can one conclude?
A.) There is exactly one force applied to the block.
B.) The net force applied to the block is directed to the left.
C.) The net force applied to the block is zero.
D.) There must be no forces at all applied to the block.
for #2, i got B

3.) A block of mass 2kg is acted upon by two forces: 3N (directed to the left) and 4N (directed to the right). What can you say about the block's
motion?
A.) It must be moving to the left.
B.) It must be moving to the right.
C.) It must be at rest.
D.) It could be moving to the left or moving to the right or at rest.
for #3, i think it's B cause it's moving more to the right

4.) A massive block is being pulled along a horizontal frictionless surface by a constant horizontal force. The block must be __________.
A.) continuously changing direction
B.) moving at constant velocity
C.) moving with a constant nonzero acceleration
D.) moving with continuously increasing acceleration
for #4, i got B. if it's a constant horizontal force, it would be constant velocity right?

5.) Two forces, of magnitude 4N and 10N, are applied to an object. The relative direction of the forces is unknown. The net force acting on the object __________.
A.) cannot be equal to 5N
B.) cannot be equal to 10N
C.) cannot be directed the same way as the force of 10N
D.) must be greater than 10N
Enter the letters of all the correct answers in alphabetical order. Do not use commas. For example, if you think only the last option is correct, enter D. (Only applies to question #5)

for #5, i got D.

so the summary for all my answers are:
1.) A
2.) B
3.) B
4.) B
5.) D

if someone would check my answers, it would be awesome. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CellCoree said:
4.) A massive block is being pulled along a horizontal frictionless surface by a constant horizontal force. The block must be __________.
A.) continuously changing direction
C.) moving with a constant nonzero acceleration
D.) moving with continuously increasing acceleration
for #4, i got B. if it's a constant horizontal force, it would be constant velocity right?

The answer should be C. The block must be moving with a constant acceleration. Remember that F = ma, where F is the constant force, m is the constant mass and a is constant acceleration in this case.

CellCoree said:
5.) Two forces, of magnitude 4N and 10N, are applied to an object. The relative direction of the forces is unknown. The net force acting on the object __________.
A.) cannot be equal to 5N
B.) cannot be equal to 10N
C.) cannot be directed the same way as the force of 10N

The answer should be A. The reasoning goes like this: If you drew a triangle with sides 4 and 10, the other side cannot have a length of less than or equal to 5. This is because of a law that states that the sum of two sides of a triangle always has to be more than the other side. But if your triangle had sides 5, 4 and 10, the sum of the length 5 and length 4 sides (which is 9) is less than 10.

CellCoree said:
please help me check my answers, cause if i get one answer wrong, it's a big point deduction. i don't really like doing my homework online.

here it goes...
1.) An object cannot remain at rest unless which of the following holds?
A.)The net force acting on it is zero.

for #1, i got A

2.) If a block is moving to the left at a constant velocity, what can one conclude?

B.) The net force applied to the block is directed to the left.

for #2, i got B

3.) A block of mass 2kg is acted upon by two forces: 3N (directed to the left) and 4N (directed to the right). What can you say about the block's
motion?

B.) It must be moving to the right.

for #3, i think it's B cause it's moving more to the right

for #5, i got D.

so the summary for all my answers are:
1.) A
2.) B
3.) B
4.) B
5.) D

Not all, but most of your answers are wrong.
Read Newton's laws again. Don't forget that the forces add up as vectors. Try to make a triangle of those 10 N and 4 N forces. What can be the length of the third side?
Remember that F =m*a. It follows that constant net force causes constant acceleration in the direction of the force.
Velocity is not acceleration. The direction of motion is teh same as the direction of velocity. A body need not move in the direction of the net force acting on it.

Try to answer the questions again.

ehild

What are Newton's Laws?

Newton's Laws are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are considered fundamental principles in the field of physics.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting upon it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. This law is expressed as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert a force of equal magnitude in the opposite direction.

What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all of the individual forces acting on it. It is determined by adding or subtracting all of the forces acting on an object in a specific direction. If the net force on an object is zero, then the object will maintain its current state of motion or remain at rest.