What is the Force Exerted on a Bathroom Scale in an Elevator on Earth?

In summary, the problem involves finding the force exerted by a bathroom scale on a person with a mass of 65 kg in various scenarios. These scenarios include the elevator moving at a constant speed, slowing down with a constant acceleration of 2.1 m/s2, speeding up with a constant acceleration of 2.1 m/s2, moving downward at a constant speed, and slowing down to a stop with a constant magnitude of acceleration. Using Newton's laws and free body diagrams, the normal force (scale force) and the weight force are determined and used to calculate the net force in each scenario.
whoopie88

Homework Statement

Your mass is 65 kg. You stand on a bathroom scale in an elevator on Earth.

(a) What force would the scale exert when the elevator moves up at a constant speed?

(b) What force would the scale exert when it slows at 2.1 m/s2 while moving upward?

(c) What force would the scale exert when it speeds up at 2.1 m/s2 wile moving downward?

(d) What force would the scale exert when it moves downward at a constant speed?

(e) What force would the scale exert when it slows to a stop at a constant magnitude of acceleration?

Homework Equations

f=ma
fg=mg
fnet=mAnet
Ff=μῦFn

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea what to do with all these Y forces going everywhere..Can someone walk me through the process of solving this problem?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw free body diagrams. There are 2 forces acting on the person, the person's weight, acting down, and the normal (scale) force acting up. Use Newton's laws F_net = ma when accelerating. At constant speeed or at rest, F_net =0 (no acceleration, per Newton 1). Please show an attempt .

I found (a), (c), and (d), but I can't find (b). Here is my attempt at solving it:

mAnet = -Fn + Fg
mAnet - Fg = -Fn
65(-2.1) - 65(9.81) = -Fn
774.15 = Fn

Help?

I also don't understand how to find (e)..

Okay after working on this, I've solved it. Thanks anyways!

1. What is the "Force Elevator Problem"?

The "Force Elevator Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the force required to lift an elevator with a given mass and acceleration. It is used to understand the principles of Newton's laws of motion.

2. How is the force for the elevator calculated?

The force for the elevator is calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). To calculate the force, you will need to know the mass of the elevator and the acceleration at which it is moving.

3. Why is the "Force Elevator Problem" important?

The "Force Elevator Problem" is important because it helps us understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It also has practical applications in engineering and construction, as it is essential to know the required force to lift heavy objects like elevators.

4. What are the different forces involved in the "Force Elevator Problem"?

There are two main forces involved in the "Force Elevator Problem": the force of gravity pulling the elevator down and the force of the elevator motor pulling it up. Other factors that may affect the force required include friction and air resistance.

5. How does the "Force Elevator Problem" relate to real-life elevators?

The "Force Elevator Problem" is a simplified version of the forces involved in real-life elevators. In reality, there are many other factors that can affect the force required to lift an elevator, such as the weight of the cables and the number of people inside the elevator. However, the basic principles of Newton's laws of motion still apply.