Solving First-Order Linear Differential Equations with Eigenvectors

In summary: The correct eigenvectors are [1,1] and [4,1]. This will give you the correct answer of (y1) = (C1)e^t - 4(C2)e^2t and (y2) = (C2)e^2t.
RET80

Homework Statement

solve the system of first-order linear differential equations:
(y1)' = (y1) - 4(y2)
(y2)' = 2(y2)

using the equation:
(λI -A)x = 0

Homework Equations

using eigenvectors and eigenvalues
in the book 'Elementary Linear Algebra' by Larson and Falvo - Section 7.4 #19

The Attempt at a Solution

(y1)' = (y1) - 4(y2)
(y2)' = 2(y2)

makes the matrix:
[1 -4]
[0 2]

(λI-A)x = 0
[λ-1 4]
[0 λ-2]

which gives the eiganvalues:
(λ-1)(λ-2)
λ = 1
λ = 2

then input it back into the original matrix A:
λ = 1
(1I - A) =
[0 4]
[0 -1]

which reduces to:
[0 0]
[0 1]

and creates the eiganvector:
[0]
[1]

then continued onto:
λ = 2
(2I - A) =
[1 4]
[0 0]

which creates the eigenvector:
[1]
[-4]

so then I put the two eigenvectors together and create P:
[1 1]
[0 -4]

then I need to find P^-1 so that I may use PAP^-1 to find the differential equation:
I set P equal to the identity matrix and solve (I think this is where things start to go wrong...)
[1 1/4]
[0 -1/4]

then I solve for PAP^-1
[1 1] [1 -4] [1 1/4]
[0 -4] [0 2] [0 -1/4]

I take AP^-1 first in the multiplication and get:
[1 5/4]
[0 1/2]

and then add on P and get:
[1 7/4]
[0 2]

and that just looks wrong, I stopped there in fear of continuing further, but the answer IN THE BOOK reads:
(y1) = (C1)e^t - 4(C2)e^2t
(y2) = (C2)e^2t

and it looks like if I were to continue it would not even come close to that answer...Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

You calculated the eigenvectors incorrectly.

1. What are first-order linear differential equations?

First-order linear differential equations are a type of mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. The equation is considered linear if the function and its derivatives are raised to the first power and are not multiplied together. These equations are commonly used to model real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. What are eigenvectors in the context of solving first-order linear differential equations?

Eigenvectors are special vectors in linear algebra that, when multiplied by a square matrix, produce a scalar multiple of themselves. In the context of solving first-order linear differential equations, eigenvectors are used to find a particular solution to the equation. They help to simplify the process by reducing the equation to a system of linear equations, which can then be solved using standard methods.

3. How do you solve first-order linear differential equations with eigenvectors?

The process of solving first-order linear differential equations with eigenvectors involves finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the coefficient matrix. These values are then used to construct the general solution of the equation. The initial conditions of the equation can then be used to find the particular solution, which satisfies the given boundary conditions.

4. What are some applications of solving first-order linear differential equations with eigenvectors?

First-order linear differential equations with eigenvectors are used to model a wide range of phenomena in various fields of science and engineering. Some common applications include analyzing population growth, predicting the spread of diseases, studying chemical reactions, and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits.

5. What are some common methods for finding eigenvectors in first-order linear differential equations?

There are several methods for finding eigenvectors in first-order linear differential equations, including the characteristic polynomial method, the matrix diagonalization method, and the Jordan normal form method. The choice of method may depend on the complexity of the equation and the availability of initial conditions. In most cases, a combination of methods may be used to find the eigenvectors and their corresponding eigenvalues.