Challenge Problem! Deals with slopes; friction; speed; ect! Who can actually do it?!

by A PP4L K
Tags: coefficient friction, components, distance, friction, incline
A PP4L K
Dec13-10, 11:27 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A skier starts from rest at the top of a hill that is inclined at 10.5degrees with the horizontal. The hillside is 200 m long, and the coefficient of friction between the skis is 0.075. At the bottom of the hill, the snow is level and the coefficient of friction is unchanged. How far does the skier move along the horizontal portion of the snow before coming to rest?

2. Relevant equations
Ff=μFnorm
Fnet=ma
cosθ=adj/hyp
sinθ=opp/adj
tanθ=opp/adj

3. The attempt at a solution
μ = .075
d = 200m
incline = 10.5

I know I must use components to solve, but the way this problem is set up (lack of givens) I am having trouble solving it. Also I do not know how to calculate it once he hits horizontal land and is no longer on the slope. A walk-through of this would be absolutely AMAZING! :)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
gneill
Dec14-10, 12:23 AM
Mentor
P: 11,424
Quote Quote by A PP4L K View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A skier starts from rest at the top of a hill that is inclined at 10.5degrees with the horizontal. The hillside is 200 m long, and the coefficient of friction between the skis is 0.075. At the bottom of the hill, the snow is level and the coefficient of friction is unchanged. How far does the skier move along the horizontal portion of the snow before coming to rest?

2. Relevant equations
Ff=μFnorm
Fnet=ma
cosθ=adj/hyp
sinθ=opp/adj
tanθ=opp/adj

3. The attempt at a solution
μ = .075
d = 200m
incline = 10.5

I know I must use components to solve, but the way this problem is set up (lack of givens) I am having trouble solving it. Also I do not know how to calculate it once he hits horizontal land and is no longer on the slope. A walk-through of this would be absolutely AMAZING! :)
You'll have to be more specific about what you think is missing from the givens. It looks okay to me.
zorro
Dec14-10, 05:50 AM
P: 1,395
Its a very very easy question!
All data required is given. You just need one equation to solve it. Think more about it.

Register to reply