Register to reply

Do any of you have a phd in string theory/QED/Theoretical particle physics?

by Tensor_law
Tags: particle, physics, string
Share this thread:
Tensor_law
Jan16-11, 10:47 PM
P: 8
I am interested in going down that path, and i was wondering if you have any advice? I mean like which schools i should aim for. I am aware that this would be better placed in academic advice, but no one gives advice about mathematical physics there, they all say to do something with better job prospects, like optics or matter. But to me, those options seem boring and very derivative!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
Careful
Jan17-11, 03:06 AM
P: 1,667
Quote Quote by Tensor_law View Post
I am interested in going down that path, and i was wondering if you have any advice? I mean like which schools i should aim for. I am aware that this would be better placed in academic advice, but no one gives advice about mathematical physics there, they all say to do something with better job prospects, like optics or matter. But to me, those options seem boring and very derivative!
I am not sure which part of the globe you come from but in Europe, it doesn't really matter that much which university you go to (although there are distinctions of course). If you are really motivated, then you should be able to do it largely on your own. Mathematical physics is a beautiful area and indeed offers a unique perspective both on physics and mathematics. However, it's job prospects are meager (there were better times)... if you would do this, then given my own experience, I would follow some courses on financial mathematics or some extra actuary studies. This basically gives you a safety net in the financial sector (and still allows you to use your skills) if you should not have the luck to get a job in academia.

Careful
arivero
Jan17-11, 07:30 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,891
I'd try the part III of Cambridge not because of the contents (more or less the same in all campuses) nor the job prospects (negligible), but because of the number -and, I expect, quality- of students. Some years, you can find up to 80 students in the QFT lectures, which is encouraging (compare to six or ten students in a average postgraduate course).

latentcorpse
Aug1-11, 04:53 PM
P: 1,443
Do any of you have a phd in string theory/QED/Theoretical particle physics?

Quote Quote by arivero View Post
I'd try the part III of Cambridge not because of the contents (more or less the same in all campuses) nor the job prospects (negligible), but because of the number -and, I expect, quality- of students. Some years, you can find up to 80 students in the QFT lectures, which is encouraging (compare to six or ten students in a average postgraduate course).
I'd say the QFT lectures this year had about 150+ students taking it and the AQFT had perhaps 100.
arivero
Aug1-11, 05:47 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,891
Quote Quote by latentcorpse View Post
I'd say the QFT lectures this year had about 150+ students taking it and the AQFT had perhaps 100.
Hmm 150+ is perhaps too many! It seems that word-of-mouth is very amplifyed on internet, nowadays.
unusualname
Aug2-11, 12:24 PM
P: 661
btw the lecture notes are available online http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html

(I did Part III, but unfortunately was not interested in QFT at the time, so missed these courses)

Register to reply