Register to reply

Good books for learning topology

by Ed Quanta
Tags: books, learning, topology
Share this thread:
Ed Quanta
Oct11-04, 05:27 PM
P: 297
How useful is topology for physics? And what are soome good books for learning topology. I find a lot of the definitions in textbooks way too abstract and not giving examples of the topological spaces they are defining. Drop some titles if you have a moment.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
matt grime
Oct12-04, 05:44 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
For modern theoretical physics it appears indispensible. Look at Jon Baez's website to see some stuff that might interest you.

www.math.ucr.edu

thence faculty > baez > home page and browse the back issues of this week's finds etc.

if you want to throw yourself in at the deep end then I can suggest other stuff but i think it would be totally inappropriate at this stage.
Triss
Oct12-04, 06:55 AM
P: 85
You could take a look at Sidney Morris' "Topology without tears", you can get it for free at his website http://uob-community.ballarat.edu.au...s/topology.htm.

NateTG
Oct12-04, 11:07 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,538
Good books for learning topology

Munkres is good. It was quite pricy, but well worth the cost, when I bought it. You might try a local university library to look at topolgy books.
cogitoČ
Oct15-04, 01:22 PM
P: 98
Quote Quote by NateTG
Munkres is good. It was quite pricy, but well worth the cost, when I bought it. You might try a local university library to look at topolgy books.
^^^

munkres is very clear. other books such as royden are good but only if you do the exercises (he gives you very little...you basically learn everything from the problems). like nate said, i would recommend you go to the library and get a few different top books. the more different sources the easier it is to understand.

Register to reply