Actual vs percieved depth. optics question

In summary, a man standing by a 12-meter-wide swimming pool, with his eyes 1.8 meters above the edge, estimates the pool to be 2.4 meters deep when looking towards the opposite corner. Taking into account the refractive index of water, which is 1.33, we can calculate the actual depth of the pool. The small angle approximation is not applicable in this situation, and although the critical angle can be determined (sin^-1 (1/1.33) = 48.574 deg), it is not helpful in finding the actual depth. Further information or equations are needed to solve the problem.
mogley76

Homework Statement

a man stands by a swimming pool that is completley filled with water. his eyes are 1.8 meters directly above the edge and the pool is 12 meters wide.
when he looks toward the corner on the opposite side of the pool , he estimates the pool to be 2.4 meters deep. if the refractive index of water is 1.33 calculate the actual depth of the pool.

Homework Equations

no equations given, but just a statement "the small angle approxmitaion sin theta = tan theta = theta is not appropriate for this situation."

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried using snells law but i get no where as no angles are given and i can't use the small angle approximation . the most i can work out is the critical angle which is sin^-1 (1/1.33) that gives 48.574 deg. but i don't think its going to help much?
im very stuck

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Relevant equations?
Attempt at a solution?

To start answer the question: How do we perceive depth?

What is actual depth?

Actual depth refers to the physical distance between two points in a three-dimensional space, such as the distance between two objects or the thickness of an object.

What is perceived depth?

Perceived depth is the distance that is perceived by the human eye or brain. It is affected by various factors such as lighting, textures, and visual cues.

How does optics play a role in actual vs perceived depth?

Optics, specifically the study of light and its behavior, plays a crucial role in understanding actual vs perceived depth. It helps us understand how light interacts with objects and how our eyes perceive this information to create a sense of depth.

What are some visual cues that affect perceived depth?

Some visual cues that affect perceived depth include overlapping objects, relative size, texture gradient, and linear perspective. These cues provide important visual information that helps our brain interpret depth.

Why is understanding actual vs perceived depth important?

Understanding actual vs perceived depth is important in various fields, such as art, psychology, and virtual reality. It helps us create more realistic and immersive experiences, and also helps us understand how our brain interprets visual information. In fields such as medicine and engineering, understanding depth perception is crucial for accurate measurements and designs.