NaHCO3 and aspirin.

by josephcollins
Tags: aspirin, nahco3
josephcollins
Oct25-04, 02:45 PM
P: 60
Hi ppl,
I was wondering could someone help me with this explanation. Why does the addition of Sodium Hydrogencarbonate help an aspirin to dissolve. In tablets of aspirin, acetylsalicylcic acid is mixed with sodium hydrogencarbonate and when the soluble aspirin tablet is dissolved in water the acetylsalicylcic acid and the sodium hydrogencarbonate react together.

Thanks a lot,
joe
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Recycling industrial waste water: Scientists discover a new method of producing hydrogen
Making radiation-proof materials for electronics, power plants
A greener source of polyester?cork trees
movies
Oct25-04, 03:17 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 284
In aqueous solution the basic NaHCO3 can deprotonate the acidic acetylsalicylic acid. The resulting charged species (carboxylate anion) is very soluble in water.

Without the base then the acid would be protonated and therefore uncharged. The rest of the molecule is rather non-polar and thus not very soluble in polar solvents like water.
chem_tr
Oct26-04, 07:03 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 613
As Movies explained the issue well, I will only give the reaction scheme.

[tex]HSal + NaHCO_3 \longrightarrow Sal^- Na^+ + CO_2 + H_2O[/tex]

Normally, H2CO3 is expected to be formed, but is very unstable to yield carbon dioxide and water for lower energy and higher unregularity (entropy) needs.

quality68
Jun30-11, 10:20 AM
P: 1

NaHCO3 and aspirin.

Quote Quote by josephcollins View Post
Hi ppl,
I was wondering could someone help me with this explanation. Why does the addition of Sodium Hydrogencarbonate help an aspirin to dissolve. In tablets of aspirin, acetylsalicylcic acid is mixed with sodium hydrogencarbonate and when the soluble aspirin tablet is dissolved in water the acetylsalicylcic acid and the sodium hydrogencarbonate react together.

Thanks a lot,
joe
It's very similar to that between benzoic acid and sodium hydrogencarbonate.

C6H5COOH + NaHCO3 -----> C6H5COONa + CO2 + H2O
NaHCO3

Register to reply