Describe the region of R^3, sphere with inequality

In summary, the conversation discussed the region of R^3 represented by the inequality x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 > 1, which describes all points outside of a sphere with center (0,0,1) and radius 1. The conversation also clarified the meaning of \sqrt{(x-0)^2 + (y-0)^2 + (z-1)^2}, which represents the distance from the center of the sphere to any point (x,y,z).
alias

Homework Statement

Describe the region of R^3 that is represented by:

Homework Equations

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 > 2z

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do with this at, especially at z=0 and z=2

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should complete the square

x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 > 1
a sphere with centre (0,0,1) and radius >1?

Seems like that could be many spheres.

would it be:
x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 > 1

infinite number of spheres with centre (0,0,1) and radius >1?

Where do you find any point (x, y) that satisfies x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 > 1 , relative to the set of points that satisfy x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 = 1 ?

SammyS said:
Where do you find any point (x, y) that satisfies x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 > 1 , relative to the set of points that satisfy x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 = 1 ?

I'm lost now. I am fairly sure I have the centre correct at (0,0,1), the only thing I can think of regarding your previous post is:
(x,y) = (x>1, y>1) or
(x,y) = (x>=1, y>=1). But this seems incorrect.

Yes, the equation x2 + y2 + (z-1)2 = 1 describes a sphere of radius 1 with center at (x, y, z) = (0, 0, 1) .

Pick any point that is outside of the sphere. What do you get for x2 + y2 + (z-1)2 for that point?

Pick any point that is inside of the sphere. What do you get for x2 + y2 + (z-1)2 for this point?

for the equation, a point inside the sphere would be (1/2, 0, 1)
.5^2 + 0^2 + (1-1)^2 = .25

outside the the sphere would be (1,1,1)
1^2 + 1^2 + (1-1)^2 = 2

alias said:
for the equation, a point inside the sphere would be (1/2, 0, 1)
.5^2 + 0^2 + (1-1)^2 = .25

outside the the sphere would be (1,1,1)
1^2 + 1^2 + (1-1)^2 = 2

Notice that .25 < 1, so for point (1/2, 0, 1), x2 + y2 +(z-1)2 < 1 .

Similarly, 2 > 1, , so for point (1, 1, 1), x2 + y2 +(z-1)2 > 1 .

Does that give you any ideas?

BTW, what does [itex]\sqrt{(x-0)^2 + (y-0)^2 + (z-1)^2}[/itex] represent ?

\sqrt{(x-0)^2 + (y-0)^2 + (z-1)^2}
is the distance between two points, (0, 0, -1) and any point (x,y,z)
but I still don't understand the constraint on x, y, and/or z.

alias said:

or the inequality of the radius

I'm afraid SammyS rather confused things when he asked about "(x, y)" in post #6.

alias, In post #9, you said, "outside the the sphere would be (1,1,1)". Yes, that is a point in this set but any point on that set lies in this set. The only problem with your post #5, "infinite number of spheres with centre (0,0,1) and radius >1?", is not enough. The set of all spheres with integer radius, greater than 1, satisfies that but does not include points that satisfy, for example, [itex]x^2+ y^2= \frac{9}{4}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
I'm afraid SammyS rather confused things when he asked about "(x, y)" in post #6.
Yes. TYPO !

Sorry about that.

I meant to type " point (x, y, z) = ... "

alias said:
Actually, it's the distance between two points, (0, 0, 1) and any point (x,y,z). In other words, it's the distance from the center of your sphere to any point (x,y,z).

If [itex]\sqrt{(x-0)^2 + (y-0)^2 + (z-1)^2}>1\,, [/itex] where is the point (x, y, z) located in relation to the sphere ?

The distance between (0,0,1) and (x,y,z) is greater than 1. I'm not sure about the relation to the sphere though.

What is the distance from (0,0,1) to any point on the surface of the sphere ?

The distance from (0,0,1) to any point on the surface of the sphere is 1.
How does this relate to the inequality with the radius?

alias said:
The distance between (0,0,1) and (x,y,z) is greater than 1. I'm not sure about the relation to the sphere though.

alias said:
The distance from (0,0,1) to any point on the surface of the sphere is 1.
How does this relate to the inequality with the radius?
If the distance from (0,0,1) is 1, the point (x,y,z) is on the surface of the sphere. If that distance is greater than 1 doesn't the point lies outside the sphere?

If [itex](x)^2 + (y)^2 + (z-1)^2>1\,,[/itex] what does that say about [itex]\sqrt{(x-0)^2 + (y-0)^2 + (z-1)^2}\,?[/itex]

SammyS said:
If the distance from (0,0,1) is 1, the point (x,y,z) is on the surface of the sphere. If that distance is greater than 1 doesn't the point lies outside the sphere?

If [itex](x)^2 + (y)^2 + (z-1)^2>1\,,[/itex] what does that say about [itex]\sqrt{(x-0)^2 + (y-0)^2 + (z-1)^2}\,?[/itex]

Yes, any point (x,y,z) that has a distance greater than 1 from (0,0,1) lies outside the the sphere. So the original eqn, x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 > 1 consists of all points outside the outside the sphere with with centre (0,0,1) and radius 1? Would that not be all spheres with radius >1 and the same centre?

Well, the point (x,y,z) = (1,1,1) satisfies your inequality (It's not an equation.), but that single point is not a sphere.

Then the region of R^3 that is represented by:
(x-0)^2 + (y-0)^2 + (z-1)^2 > 1 is all spheres with centre(0,0,1) and a radius greater than 1?

I suppose you could say it that way. I think it's simpler and clearer to say it's the region external to the sphere of radius 1, that's centered at (0,0,1) .

Thanks a lot for your help. You have a lot of patience!

You're more than welcome.

Sorry about that typo earlier.

1. What is R^3?

R^3, or "R-cubed", refers to the three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system in mathematics. It is composed of the x, y, and z axes, which intersect at the origin (0,0,0) to form a three-dimensional space.

2. What is a sphere in R^3?

A sphere in R^3 is a perfectly round three-dimensional shape with all points equidistant from the center. It can be described using the equation x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2, where r is the radius of the sphere.

3. What is an inequality in R^3?

An inequality in R^3 is a mathematical expression that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It represents a range of values rather than a specific value.

4. How do you describe the region of R^3, sphere with inequality?

The region of R^3, sphere with inequality, can be described as the set of all points within or on the surface of a sphere with a given radius, which satisfy a specific inequality. This can be visualized as a three-dimensional shape with a curved surface and a hollow interior.

5. How is R^3, sphere with inequality useful in scientific research?

R^3, sphere with inequality is useful in scientific research for modeling real-world phenomena that are three-dimensional in nature. It allows scientists to define and study a specific region within a three-dimensional space, which can help in understanding and predicting complex systems and processes. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.