Register to reply

Comparison of width of a wavefunction in real space and momentum space

by BasharTeg
Tags: comparison, momentum, real, space, wavefunction, width
Share this thread:
BasharTeg
Oct13-11, 01:57 PM
P: 5
Hello, I have a slight problem with Quantumtheory here.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I have solved the schrödinger equation in the momentum space for a delta potential and also transfered it into real space. So now I have to find the correlation between the width of the wavefunction in both spaces (and then motivate it physically) and I am stuck here because I don't even know where to start.

2. Relevant equations
[itex]\Psi (x) = \sqrt{\kappa}e^{- \kappa |x|}[/itex]

[itex]\Psi (p) = \frac{\sqrt{2 ( \hbar \kappa)^3}}{\sqrt{\pi}(p^2 + (\hbar \kappa)^2)}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
I was thinking about maybe the uncertainty relation of momentum and space would help here, but I am stuck where to start.

Hope someone can help or give a hint.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
vela
Oct13-11, 04:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,692
Just looking at the functions, you can approximate the characteristic width of the wave functions in position space by using [itex]\kappa x \approx 1[/itex] and in momentum space by using [itex]p / \hbar \kappa \approx 1[/itex].

If you want to be more precise, calculate [itex]\Delta x = \sqrt{\langle x^2 \rangle - \langle x \rangle^2}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta p = \sqrt{\langle p^2 \rangle - \langle p \rangle^2}[/itex].
BasharTeg
Oct13-11, 04:47 PM
P: 5
Thanks I will look into it. I guess I have to calculate Δx and Δp since I need a correlation how the width in momentum space affects the width in real space and vice versa.

Register to reply