What is the integral of x*sin(ax)?

• Thread starter ponjavic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of x*sin(x) and x*sin(ax) using the method of integration by parts. The formula for integration by parts is explained and applied to the given functions, resulting in the integrals -\frac{1}{a}(x cos(ax)+ \frac{1}{a}sin(ax)) and -\frac{x}{a}cos(ax)+\frac{1}{a^2}sin(ax). The conversation also mentions the difficulty of finding a primitive function for sinx/x and suggests using numerical methods to obtain results. References to books for further study are also given.
ponjavic
What is the integral of x*sin(x) and x*sin(ax)?
I have no idea since I have neveer integrated something to get a product...
Ohh, it's supposed to be integrated from 0 to 1 for the sin(ax)

Physics news on Phys.org
Use "integration by parts".

From the product rule for derivatives, d(uv)/dx= u(dv/dx)+ v(du/dx). We can write that in "differential" form as d(uv)= u dv+ vdu and then rewrite it as

u dv= d(uv)- vdu.

Integrating both sides gives the integral formula
[tex]\int u dv= uv- \int vdu[/tex].

In particular, to integrate x sin(ax), let u= x, dv= sin(ax) dx. Then du= dx and
v= -(1/a)cos(ax) so
[tex]\int x sin(ax)dx= -(\frac{1}{a}x cos(ax)+ \frac{1}{a}\int cos(ax) dx[/tex]

[tex]= -\frac{1}{a}(x cos(x)+ \frac{1}{a}sin(ax))[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
Use "integration by parts".
In particular, to integrate x sin(ax), let u= x, dv= sin(ax) dx. Then du= dx and
v= -(1/a)cos(ax) so
[tex]\int x sin(ax)dx= -(\frac{1}{a}x cos(ax)+ \frac{1}{a}\int cos(ax) dx[/tex]

[tex]= -\frac{1}{a}(x cos(x)+ \frac{1}{a}sin(ax))[/tex].

Sorry,there's a minus,a paranthesis too much and an "a" missing:
[tex]\int x sin(ax)dx= -\frac{1}{a}x cos(ax)+ \frac{1}{a}\int cos(ax) dx[/tex]

[tex]= -\frac{1}{a}[x cos(ax)- \frac{1}{a}sin(ax)][/tex]

and if its / ? =) as in sin(ax)/x
Or is it so easy that I can do it by myself, don't have time right now...

This is what I seem to get, very annoying
[tex]\int(sin(ax)\frac{1}{x})=sin(ax) ln(x)+\int(ln(x) cos(ax))[/tex]
or
[tex]\int(\frac{1}{x}sin(ax))=-\frac{1}{x}cos(ax)+\int(\frac{1}{x^2}cos(ax))[/tex]

Any ideas? Are any of the following integrals easy to do?

did u try setting u=x and dv=sin(ax)dx ?
this is what i got
[tex] \int xsin(ax) dx=-\frac{x}{a}cos(ax) +\frac{1}{a}\int cos(ax) dx[/tex]
[tex] = -\frac{x}{a}cos(ax)+\frac{1}{a^2}sin(ax)[/tex]

heh vladimir, I understand the xsin(ax) integral but now I am trying to do 1/x*sin(ax) is this possible? If you look at my previous post you'll see me trying to integrate 1/x*sin(ax)

That's because there is no primitive of the function sinx/x.
I assume you know that ordinary functions can be differentiated and the result be another "familiar" function.But this does not apply for primitives.There are functions like sinx/x,cos/x,exp(x^2),etc. which do not have primitives.That is,u cannot find a function which to differentiate to get the function you wish to integrate.
However,numerical methods based on Taylor/Mac Laurin formula(s) can be used to obtain results.For example,to find the primitive of sinx/x,u need to expand sinx and divide each term of the expansion term by x and integrate the results.You'll have then a new infinite series,which could be seen as the Taylor/Mac Laurin exapansion of the function u are looking for.
This thing works for functions which "behave" pretty well as to apply Taylor/Mac Laurin formula(s) to them.The 3 examples i have stated prove this assertion.
To find definite integral values for the 3 functions mentioned above,try to get a hand on 2 books:M.Abramowitz,I.Segun:"Mathematical functions and tables" and Rytzhik and Gradstein:"Tables of integrals" and search for sine integral function,cosine integral function and erf(error) function.

P.S.I'm not at the library anymore,so from now on,when i give indications to certain books always doubt the veridicity of the names and titles stated,as i give them from my memory to which i have no recollection of having ever been treated with glucosis.So it cold fail me someday.Hopefully not soon.

Last edited:
Thanks man, I was expecting the likes...

FAQ: What is the integral of x*sin(ax)?

1. What is the formula for the integral of x*sin(ax)?

The formula for the integral of x*sin(ax) is -cos(ax) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of x*sin(ax)?

To solve the integral of x*sin(ax), you can use the integration by parts method. You first choose u = x and dv = sin(ax), and then use the product rule to find du and v. Then, use the formula ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du to solve the integral.

3. Can the integral of x*sin(ax) be simplified further?

Yes, the integral of x*sin(ax) can be simplified further using trigonometric identities. For example, if the value of a is an integer multiple of π, then cos(ax) will be equal to either 1 or -1, which simplifies the integral to just -x + C.

4. What is the significance of the integral of x*sin(ax) in mathematics?

The integral of x*sin(ax) has significance in various fields of mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and physics. It is often used to solve problems involving motion, vibrations, and periodic phenomena.

5. Can the integral of x*sin(ax) be used to find the area under a curve?

Yes, the integral of x*sin(ax) can be used to find the area under a curve. This is because the integral represents the accumulation of infinitesimal rectangles under the curve, and the value of the integral is equal to the area under the curve between the given limits of integration.

Back