Register to reply

What is the fastest growing field in Engineering? other than bio

by arpeggio
Tags: engineering, fastest, field, growing
Share this thread:
arpeggio
Dec24-11, 12:28 AM
P: 29
Will the computers keep developing (moore's law?) or will it stop eventually and a new field will come up? Is nanotechnology going to get better?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
PhanthomJay
Jan9-12, 12:49 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 6,049
My guess is that Computer (due to the rapidly expanding technologies) and Civil Engineering (due to aging infrastructure and government support ) are the next 2 fields below the Bio field, in the near future. Just using my crystal ball.
Topher925
Jan9-12, 02:45 PM
P: 1,672
Software engineering. End of story.

Pkruse
Jan13-12, 07:20 AM
P: 490
What is the fastest growing field in Engineering? other than bio

Behind Bio and medicine, anything relating to the production or conservation of energy is high on the list. Closely related to that is the environment, so we can consider the two together for the purposes of this discussion. That will generate a huge number of mechanical engineering jobs and the development of new mechanical technologies. We are already beginning to see some excellent innovations, some of which may become complete game changers.

Behind that, I'd have to agree with catching up on our old infrastructure. That will create many Civil Engineering jobs.

Supporting all of this will be those truly wonderful people who supply us with our engineering software.
Alexander D
Jan17-12, 07:38 PM
P: 6
I would guess you are looking for lifetime earnings, yes?

At present, mining engineering statistically pays better. Civil engineering is down at the moment, software engineering is up. Overall I honestly couldn't tell you which field of engineering to follow.

You obviously don't have a degree yet, so I'd be more interested in finding AN EMPLOYER that would be willing to employ you and put you through the degree, I'm currently a draftsperson that is being put through a Civil Engineering degree, so I'm guaranteed a job when I graduate. Alot of people can't say that.

Apply for jobs now, you don't need an engineering degree to get engineering jobs.

Register to reply