Define the potential to be zero at infinity

In summary: Ah, whoops! To find potential, you integrate electric field. E = (Qouter + Qinner)/(4πεo) ∫dr/(r^2) from infinity to c, and add that toE = (Qinner)/(4πεo) ∫dr/(r^2) from b to a?So potential would be:(Qouter + Qinner)/(4πεo) * (1/c) + (Qinner)/(4πεo) * ((1/a)-(1/b))
diethaltao

Homework Statement

A solid insulating sphere of radius a = 5.6 cm is fixed at the origin of a co-ordinate system as shown. The sphere is uniformly charged with a charge density ρ = -159 μC/m3. Concentric with the sphere is an uncharged spherical conducting shell of inner radius b = 10.7 cm, and outer radius c = 12.7 cm.

A charge Q = 0.0724μC is now added to the conducting shell. What is V(a), the electric potential at the outer surface of the insulating sphere, now? Define the potential to be zero at infinity.

Homework Equations

E = kQ/(r^2)
Q = ρV

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if the 0.0724μC was not present, the electric potential at the outer surface of the insulating sphere would be:
-kQ((1/b)-(1/c)) + (kQ/a) (*equation 1)
Using Q = ρV = -1.1696x10^-7 C.

But now that the spherical conducting shell has charged, I'm confused. Letting
0.0724μC = Q
-0.11696μC = q
I've tried:
((Q+q)/(4πεo))*(1/c) + (q/(4πεo))*((1/b)-(1-c)) + (q/(4πεo))*(1/a)
but this is wrong and I'm not sure why. I've also tried taking my answer from *equation 1 and adding that to (Q/4πεo)*(1/c) or (Q/4πεo)*(1/b) and it is still wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Gauss' Law to find the electric fields. Use that the electric field is zero inside the metal shell.

In the picture, the charge of the insulating sphere is Q1, and the charge of the shell is distributed between the inner and outer surfaces, so as Q2+Q3=Q=0.0724μC.

ehild

Attachments

• insmetal.JPG
    insmetal.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,876
So if I make the Gaussian surface b < r < c, the Qenclosed equals zero, which means that the inner surface of the conducting shell will be equal in magnitude but opposite in direction of Q1?

Q3 would be Q1+0.0724μC?

So would I sum up the charges and their distances like:
kQ3((1/c)-(1/a)) + kQ2((1/b)-(1/a)) + kQ1(1/a)?

diethaltao said:
So if I make the Gaussian surface b < r < c, the Qenclosed equals zero, which means that the inner surface of the conducting shell will be equal in magnitude but opposite in direction of Q1?

Q3 would be Q1+0.0724μC?

So would I sum up the charges and their distances like:
kQ3((1/c)-(1/a)) + kQ2((1/b)-(1/a)) + kQ1(1/a)?

You wrote an expression and did not say what it means. How do you calculate the potential in a region r>R?

ehild

Sorry, that expression was supposed to be what I thought would find the potential for the outer surface of the insulating sphere.

Potential outside the sphere would just be the Qenclosed divided by 4πεo times the integral dr/r, right?

(0.00724μC + ρV)/(4πεo) * ln(r)?

diethaltao said:
Sorry, that expression was supposed to be what I thought would find the potential for the outer surface of the insulating sphere.

Explain how did you get it. It is not quite correct. In case of a spherical symmetric charge distribution the electric field outside the sphere is the same as if all the charge concentrated in the centre.

diethaltao said:
Potential outside the sphere would just be the Qenclosed divided by 4πεo times the integral dr/r, right?

(0.00724μC + ρV)/(4πεo) * ln(r)?

No, that is not right. How are the potential and electric field related? Haven't you missed a negative sign?
What is the electric field around a metal sphere with enclosed charge Q? Is it E=kQ(enclosed)/r really? Would it satisfy Gauss' Law?

ehild

Last edited:
Ah, whoops! To find potential, you integrate electric field.
E = (Qouter + Qinner)/(4πεo) ∫dr/(r^2) from infinity to c, and add that to
E = (Qinner)/(4πεo) ∫dr/(r^2) from b to a?

So potential would be:
(Qouter + Qinner)/(4πεo) * (1/c) + (Qinner)/(4πεo) * ((1/a)-(1/b))

But I don't understand where the negative sign comes into place.

The change of the potential from infinity to r=a is equal to the integral of the electric field between infinity and r=a.

[tex]V(a)-V(\infty)=1/(4\pi \epsilon_0)\int_{\infty}^a{-Edr}=1/(4\pi \epsilon_0)\left(\int_{\infty}^c{-\frac{Q_{outer}+Q_{inner}}{r^2}dr}+\int_c^b{0 dr}+\int_b^a{-\frac{Q_{inner}}{r^2}dr}\right)[/tex]

and the result of the integration is the same you wrote.

ehild

1. What is the concept of potential to be zero at infinity?

The potential to be zero at infinity refers to the idea that as distance from a source of potential energy approaches infinity, the potential energy becomes zero. This concept is used in physics to describe the behavior of systems with infinite distance between objects, such as in gravitational or electrical fields.

2. Why is the concept of potential to be zero at infinity important?

This concept is important because it allows us to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of systems with large distances between objects. It also helps us to understand the difference between potential energy and potential, as potential energy can still exist at infinity, while potential becomes zero.

3. How is the potential to be zero at infinity mathematically defined?

Mathematically, the potential to be zero at infinity is represented by the equation V(r) = k/r, where V(r) is the potential energy at a distance r from the source, and k is a constant. This equation shows that as r approaches infinity, V(r) approaches zero.

4. Can the potential to be zero at infinity be applied to all fields of potential energy?

No, the potential to be zero at infinity only applies to fields that follow an inverse square law, such as gravitational or electrical fields. In other fields, the potential may not approach zero at infinity, and different equations may be used to describe its behavior.

5. How does the concept of potential to be zero at infinity relate to the concept of potential energy?

The potential to be zero at infinity is related to potential energy in that it helps us understand the behavior of potential energy at large distances. Potential energy can still exist at infinity, but the potential becomes zero, indicating that the energy is spread out over a large area and has a lower impact on objects at that distance.