Double major in EE and Physics

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore electrical engineering student who just discovered that their university offers a double major in EE and Physics with only one extra semester of coursework. They are interested in both subjects and are wondering if this double major would be beneficial for their future career prospects. They are advised to speak with their adviser or someone familiar with the program to learn more about its intended purpose and the opportunities it can provide for graduate school and employment.
bronchuck
I am currently a sophomore electrical engineering student. I recently found out that my university offers a double major in EE and Physics that would only require one additional semester beyond the standard EE degree. I am really interested in both physics and EE and I was wondering if this double major would look appealing to future employers or graduate schools and if it would be worth an extra semester.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the question is, what employers and grad school programs are you interested in? Perhaps you can ask your adviser, or another person closely involved with the EE/Physics double major program, who this program is intended for, and what do students who complete it end up doing (i.e. what kind of grad school programs and jobs they pursue).

1. Can I double major in EE and Physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in Electrical Engineering (EE) and Physics. Many universities offer this option for students who are interested in both fields and wish to gain a deeper understanding of both subjects.

2. What are the benefits of double majoring in EE and Physics?

Double majoring in EE and Physics allows students to gain a strong foundation in both fields and opens up a wider range of career opportunities. It also allows students to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in both fields.

3. Is it difficult to double major in EE and Physics?

Double majoring in EE and Physics can be challenging, as both fields require a strong background in math and science. However, with proper time management and dedication, it is possible to successfully complete both majors.

4. How long does it take to complete a double major in EE and Physics?

The time it takes to complete a double major in EE and Physics varies depending on the university and the individual student's course load. On average, it may take an additional year or two to complete a double major.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree with a double major in EE and Physics?

Yes, having a double major in EE and Physics can make you a strong candidate for graduate programs in either field. It also opens up opportunities for interdisciplinary research and specializations in areas where both fields overlap.