Register to reply

Magnitude of object with constant speed

Share this thread:
Kamirusen
Feb24-12, 09:32 AM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
in the physics laboratory experiment, a 6 kg box is pushed across a flat table by horizontal force F. if the box is moving at a constant speed of 0.35 m/s and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.12. what is the magnitude of F.

2. Relevant equations
F=μ*Fn
where
F = friction
μ = coefficient of friction
Fn = normal force

Fn = mass of object * acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution

i solve for Fn first,
Fn = 6 kg * 0 m/s2
and got an answer of zero for normal force.... i let the acceleration to be zero because it says that it has constant speed..... Is it normal to have a zero normal force?

and then when i solve for the magnitude of friction....
F = 0.12*0
which is zero also... O.o.....

i'm not sure if i got a wrong equation, but i think its correct...... or if i got some wrong interpretation of the given values that results to zero friction.......

My question is, is it a normal thing for an object with constant speed to have a zero friction?
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Doc Al
Feb24-12, 09:49 AM
Mentor
P: 41,477
Quote Quote by Kamirusen View Post
Fn = normal force

Fn = mass of object * acceleration
That's not how you find the normal force. Consider the vertical forces acting on the box.
Kamirusen
Feb24-12, 10:32 AM
thanks for reply...

so ill gonna consider the acceleration due to gravity of an object with no horizontal acceleration?

vivekrai
Feb24-12, 10:53 AM
P: 72
Magnitude of object with constant speed

First and fore most, never solve Newton Laws Problems without FBD. Draw the figure and correctly denote the directions in which the forces acts. Use F(net)=Ma along x-y axes. See what happens.
Doc Al
Feb24-12, 03:01 PM
Mentor
P: 41,477
Quote Quote by Kamirusen View Post
so ill gonna consider the acceleration due to gravity of an object with no horizontal acceleration?
Sure. You'll need it to find the object's weight.

Just because you might use the acceleration due to gravity does not mean the object must be accelerating. Think of the acceleration due to gravity as a measure of the strength of the earth's gravitational field.
-Physician
Feb24-12, 03:25 PM
P: 85
In this case
##F_N=mg## m = mass, g=gravity, gravity pulls down with 9.81m/s^2 so find normal force
##F_N=6kg*9.81\frac{m}{s^2}=58.86N##
If you're trying to move the body in constant velocity then
##F_{net}=0## because:
##F_{net}=ma##
##F-F_f=ma##
##F-F_f=m * 0##
##F-F_f=0## so friction is equal to pushing force.
so simply find friction ##F_f=\mu F_N## and that's the pushing force
Kamirusen
Feb25-12, 09:08 PM
thanks !!! its clearer now... :)

Register to reply