Register to reply

Selection rules electrostatic field

Share this thread:
pstq
Mar8-12, 01:25 PM
P: 6
Hi all , I need some help with this problem,
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hydrogen atom, which is in its ground state |1 0 0 > , is put into a weak time-dependent external electric field, which points into the z direction:
[tex]\boldsymbol{E}(t,\boldsymbol{r}) = \frac{C\hat{\text{e}}_{z}}{t^{2}+\tau ^{2}}[/tex], where C and [tex]\tau > 0[/tex] and e are constants. This gives rise to a perturbation potential [tex]V(t) = C\frac{e\hat{z}}{t^{2}+\tau^{2}}[/tex].
Using lowest-order time-dependent perturbation theory, find the selection rules for transitions from the ground state, i.e. find out which final state values for the quantum numbers n, l and m are possible in transitions from the ground state.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]P_{fi}(t,t_{0})\equiv |\langle\phi_{f}|\psi(t)\rangle|^{2}\approx \frac{1}{\hbar^{2}}\left|\int_{t_{0}}^{t}\text{d}t _{1}\langle\phi_{f}|V_{S}(t_{1})|\phi_{i}\rangle \text{e}^{\text{i}(E_{f}-E_{i})t_{1}/\hbar}\right|^{2}.[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I have to see the values of m for which the sandwich vanish i.e. [tex]< n l m| \hat{z} | 1 0 0 > =0 [/tex]

[tex]< n l m| \hat{z} | 1 0 0 > = I (radial ) χ \int Y^*_{l,m} Cos [\theta]d \Omega Y_{0,0} [/tex]

The radial part is always non zero,

Therefore , i have to compute
[tex]\int d \Omega Y^*_{l,m} \cos (\theta) Y_{0,0} = [/tex] But I don't know what I can use, to compute the terms \cos (\theta) X spherical harmonics
thanks for your help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
vela
Mar9-12, 02:21 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold