Limit - which result is correct?

by twoflower
Tags: correct, limit, result
twoflower
Jan15-05, 12:07 PM
P: 368
Hi all,

I've been practising for the exam and did some limits from our master's collections:

[tex]
\lim_{x \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{3}} \frac{\tan^{3} x - 3\tan x}{\cos \left( x + \frac{\pi}{6} \right) }
[/tex]

I got the result -24, but there is written -12. Which one is correct? I tried to prove the result in Maple and Mathematica, but in neither I'm not able to get anything but symbolic result.

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Internet co-creator Cerf debunks 'myth' that US runs it
Astronomical forensics uncover planetary disks in Hubble archive
Solar-powered two-seat Sunseeker airplane has progress report
dextercioby
Jan15-05, 12:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,866
HINT:Bring your function to anither form,so that the limit can be put under the "conventional" form "->0".That requires a change of variable.

Daniel.

P.S.Can as in do you know how to apply L'H˘spital's rule??
twoflower
Jan15-05, 12:34 PM
Ok, so now I put the "L'Hospitaled" function to the Maple and it still gives me symbolic result...

dextercioby
Jan15-05, 01:31 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,866
Question

Limit - which result is correct?

Can Maple compute limits??Can u compute derivatives??CAN U BOTH SOLVE THIS SIMPLE PROBLEM?????

Daniel.
ehild
Jan15-05, 03:29 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,836
Quote Quote by twoflower
I got the result -24, but there is written -12. Which one is correct?
Your result is correct.

Just try to choose some value for x close enough to pi/3 and calculate the replacement value. You will see that it is far away from -12.

ehild
twoflower
Jan15-05, 03:45 PM
Quote Quote by dextercioby
Can Maple compute limits??Can u compute derivatives??CAN U BOTH SOLVE THIS SIMPLE PROBLEM?????

Daniel.
I don't understand. Using L'Hospital I got the result I wrote here. But the "official" result is different to mine. I was just asking how to prove it in Maple.
HallsofIvy
Jan15-05, 05:20 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,904
The point was: Why use MAPLE?? You can't PROVE the MAPLE calculation is correct by using MAPLE!
It's easy to calculate that the derivative of
tan3(x)- 3tan(x) is 3tan(x)sec2(x)- 3sec2(x) and certainly you should know that [itex]tan(\frac{\pi}{3})= \sqrt{3}[/itex] and that [itex]sec(\frac{\pi}{3}})= 2[/itex]. Of course, the derivative of [itex]cos(x+\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex] is [itex]-sin(x+\frac{\pi}{6})[/itex] and [itex]-sin(\frac{\pi}{2}})= -1[/itex].

The limit, by L'Hopital, is (3*3*4- 3(22)/-1= -(36-12)= -24.
twoflower
Jan16-05, 01:39 AM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy
The point was: Why use MAPLE?? You can't PROVE the MAPLE calculation is correct by using MAPLE!
I didn't want to prove the MAPLE calculation, I was trying to prove the teacher's calculation...
nrqed
Jan16-05, 12:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,886
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy
It's easy to calculate that the derivative of
tan3(x)- 3tan(x) is 3tan(x)sec2(x)- 3sec2(x) and certainly you should know that [itex]tan(\frac{\pi}{3})= \sqrt{3}[/itex] and that [itex]sec(\frac{\pi}{3}})= 2[/itex]. Of course, the derivative of [itex]cos(x+\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex] is [itex]-sin(x+\frac{\pi}{6})[/itex] and [itex]-sin(\frac{\pi}{2}})= -1[/itex].

The limit, by L'Hopital, is (3*3*4- 3(22)/-1= -(36-12)= -24.
That's indeed correct (notice that there's a typo, it should obviously be

"It's easy to calculate that the derivative of
tan3(x)- 3tan(x) is 3tan2(x)sec2(x)- 3sec2(x)"

i.e. there is a square in the first tan in the derivative but it's obviously a typo because HallsofIvy gave the correct numerical answer.

Just a thought: if someone forgets to square the sec(x), they will get -12. So that could be the origin of the incorrect answer -12.

Pat
ehild
Jan16-05, 04:39 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,836
The limit can be obtained even without L'Hopital's rule.

[tex]
\lim_{x \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{3}} \frac{\tan^{3} x - 3\tan x}{\cos \left( x + \frac{\pi}{6} \right) }=
\lim_{x \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{3}} \frac{\tan(x)(\tan^{2} x - 3)}{\cos ( x )\cos (\pi/6)-\sin(x)\sin(\pi/6)}=[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow
\frac{\pi}{3}}\frac{\tan(x)(tan(x)-\sqrt(3))(\tan(x)+\sqrt(3))}{1/2\cos(x)(\sqrt(3)-\tan(x))}=
\lim_{x \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{3}}\frac{-2\tan(x)(\tan(x)+\sqrt(3))}{\cos(x)}=\frac{-2\sqrt(3)(2\sqrt(3)}{1/2}=-24
[/tex]

ehild
twoflower
Jan16-05, 04:59 PM
Quote Quote by ehild
The limit can be obtained even without L'Hopital's rule.
ehild
Nice ehild, I thought this is one of the limits which can't be solved without L'Hospital's rule...Thank you.

Register to reply