Register to reply

Physics help please - Sources of error in lab experiments

by Shordaay
Tags: error, experiments, physics, sources
Share this thread:
Shordaay
Aug28-12, 01:30 PM
P: 9
Ok so i need some help with a few labs.. some i've tried out and a few i just cant get.. what i want to know is whether the limitations and sources of errors that i wrote down for each of these labs are correct or not and what i could have said instead. Thank you for your help in advance.

Sources of errors for center of gravity of an irregular shaped object:
-environmental error: when the wind blows it may remove the irregular shaped object from equilibrium.
- (i couldnt think of a next one)

sources of errors for density column:
- parallex error: when pouring the liquid into the container, the container should be on a flat surface and poured with eyes at an eye level or at 90 degrees.
- do not pour liquids along the side of the container to avoid mixing

limitations for density column:
-pouring should be gentle to avoid the mixing of the liquids
- try tilting the container a little so that the liquid you are adding runs down the side more slowly

sources of errors for rate of conduction of heat in copper, nickel, tin, brass and aluminium:
-human reaction time error: was slow when timing the exact time the match stick fell
- mechanical error: electrical glitches when using the stop watch

sources of errors for thermal expansion of ball and ring:
- mechanical error: electrical glitches when using the digital vernier caliper
-(i could not think of another one)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Naty1
Aug28-12, 03:45 PM
P: 5,632
Sources of errors for center of gravity of an irregular shaped object:
-environmental error: when the wind blows it may remove the irregular shaped object from equilibrium.
- (i couldnt think of a next one)

add: density variations, shape variations 'say, thickness], in ability to measure precisely, inability to compute precisely....

sources of errors for density column:
- parallex error: when pouring the liquid into the container, the container should be on a flat surface and poured with eyes at an eye level or at 90 degrees.
- do not pour liquids along the side of the container to avoid mixing

add: density varies slightly with height, with temperature, with atmospheric pressure,

limitations for density column:
-pouring should be gentle to avoid the mixing of the liquids
- try tilting the container a little so that the liquid you are adding runs down the side more slowly

sources of errors for rate of conduction of heat in copper, nickel, tin, brass and aluminium:
-human reaction time error: was slow when timing the exact time the match stick fell
- mechanical error: electrical glitches when using the stop watch

add: impurities in metals, measurement instrument variations, different ambient temperatures,varying ambient temperatures, thickness/size of metals,

sources of errors for thermal expansion of ball and ring:
- mechanical error: electrical glitches when using the digital vernier caliper

variations in temperature of heat source...location of ball ring wrsp to heat source; cooling while measuring, ambient condition variations,
Shordaay
Aug28-12, 07:22 PM
P: 9
thank you very much for your help.. by the way are those i came up with okay?

Register to reply