Kinematics physics lab help sources of error

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with their physics lab to find the maximum velocity and acceleration of a student running using carbon tape and a spark timer. They are struggling with their sources of error section and have identified one potential error of the runner bouncing. They also mention considering the spark timer and friction as other sources of error. Additionally, they mention the importance of considering how smooth the data is and how they will use it to find the maximum velocity and acceleration. They are also concerned about potential irregularities in the data affecting their methods.
Chriszerchage12345
1. The problem statement of my lab
I have this physics lab where I have to find the maximum velocity and maximum acceleration of a high school student sprinting/running using carbon tape and a spark timer. Which I already did. Now I'm having trouble developing my sources of error section. I hope that I can get some insight or help that I would really appreciate. My one source of error that I have right now is:
1. The runner bounces during his/her run. This makes the carbon tape bounce up and down like making measurement defects in our lab. (I don't know if this is enough or even right).
(can't think of anymore)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of maybe the spark timer but the spark timer isn't really a good option I feel. Possible the tape and the friction could leave a discrepancy in my measurements as well?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand it you have a series of (time, distance) measurements.

Some things to consider in addition to the point you made.
How smooth a curve would the data represent? How will you use the data to find velocity and acceleration. How will you find the maximum velocity and acceleration? How might your methods be affected by any irregularities in the original distance-time data?

1. What is kinematics and why is it important?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion. It is important because it helps us understand and describe the movement of objects in a clear and precise manner, which is essential for many applications in science and engineering.

2. What are some common sources of error in a kinematics physics lab?

Some common sources of error in a kinematics physics lab include human error in taking measurements, equipment limitations and malfunctions, environmental factors such as air resistance or friction, and systematic errors in experimental design or data analysis.

3. How can we minimize sources of error in a kinematics physics lab?

To minimize sources of error in a kinematics physics lab, it is important to carefully calibrate and maintain equipment, take multiple measurements and calculate averages, and control for environmental factors as much as possible. It is also important to review and improve experimental design and data analysis techniques to identify and reduce systematic errors.

4. What are some ways to improve the accuracy of kinematics measurements?

To improve the accuracy of kinematics measurements, it is important to use precise and calibrated equipment, take multiple measurements and calculate averages, and minimize sources of error as much as possible. Using more advanced measurement techniques, such as video analysis, can also help to improve accuracy.

5. How does uncertainty affect kinematics measurements?

Uncertainty refers to the potential error or variability in a measurement. In kinematics measurements, uncertainty can arise from various sources such as equipment limitations or human error. It can affect the accuracy and precision of measurements and should be taken into consideration when interpreting and analyzing data. To reduce uncertainty, it is important to minimize sources of error and use appropriate statistical techniques to calculate and report uncertainty in measurements.