Linear Algebra - orthogonal vector fields

In summary, orthogonal vector fields are two vector fields that are perpendicular to each other at every point in a given space. They are commonly used in engineering, physics, and computer graphics to represent physical quantities and create realistic models. To determine if two vector fields are orthogonal, you can calculate the dot product or cross product of the vectors at a specific point. Orthogonal vector fields can be non-zero at some points, but their dot product is still equal to zero. Some properties of orthogonal vector fields include: the dot product is equal to zero, the cross product is equal to zero, and they are always perpendicular to each other at every point.
estro
I want to prove that: [itex]Ker(T*)=[Im(T)]^\bot[/itex]
Everything is in finite dimensions.

What I'm trying:
Let v be some vector in ImT, so there is v' so that Tv'=v.
Let u be some vector in KerT*, so T*u=0.

So now:
<u,v>=<u,Tv'>=<T*u,v'>=0 so every vector in ImT is perpendicular to every vector in KerT*.
So [itex]Ker(T*)=[Im(T)]^\bot[/itex]

My intuition tells me that there is something wrong here but I can' put a finger on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Still relevant. [Bringing back to 1st page, after 24 hours...]

1. What is the definition of orthogonal vector fields?

Orthogonal vector fields are two vector fields that are perpendicular to each other at every point in a given space. This means that the dot product of the two vectors at any point is equal to zero.

2. How can orthogonal vector fields be used in real life applications?

Orthogonal vector fields are commonly used in engineering and physics to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and electric fields. They are also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D models and simulations.

3. How do you determine if two vector fields are orthogonal to each other?

To determine if two vector fields are orthogonal, you can calculate the dot product of the two vectors at a specific point. If the dot product is equal to zero, then the vectors are orthogonal. Additionally, if the cross product of the two vectors is equal to zero, then the vectors are also orthogonal.

4. Can orthogonal vector fields be non-zero at some points?

Yes, orthogonal vector fields can be non-zero at some points. However, at these points, the dot product of the two vectors is still equal to zero. This means that the vectors are still perpendicular to each other, but their magnitudes may vary.

5. What are some properties of orthogonal vector fields?

Some properties of orthogonal vector fields include: the dot product of the two vectors is equal to zero, the cross product of the two vectors is equal to zero, and they are always perpendicular to each other at every point in a given space.