Should I Take Latin or Greek for Undergrad Degree?

• Thread starter Zach_C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, the speaker is discussing their options for fulfilling a foreign language requirement for their undergraduate degree. They mention that their high school's foreign language program did not offer many options and they are now considering taking extra language classes in college. They are considering taking Latin or Greek, but are unsure if it would be practical for their future career in physics or chemistry. The speaker also mentions their interest in teaching or research after graduation. The responder advises that any foreign language is beneficial in the global economy and suggests considering Spanish, French, German, Russian, Japanese, or Chinese. They also recommend Greek if the classics route is chosen.
Zach_C
I am looking at classes for my undergraduate degree. My high school's foreign language program was aimed at getting the state schools' prerequisite of two years of foreign language out of the way. So German 3 was not really looked at and seldom had enough people sign up to even create a class. My problem is that the school I am going to requires three years of the same language. So to make it up I need to take 2 years in undergrad instead of their 1 year to complete the core curriculum. Starting new in a language I would have to take three years. So I am only looking at 3 credit hours of difference. I am really tempted to take Latin or Greek instead. Is this practical on a professional standpoint. The extra hours are manageable academically when I look at it. But would a dead language be beneficial to a physics/chemistry major? Or will the language even matter when looking for a job?

What I want to do after school is not fully known. However, it will hopefully fall into teaching or research if I work hard enough.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the global economy, any modern foreign language is a bonus. In hiring someone, I would prefer someone who spoke a foreign language, all other qualifications the same.

Spanish is a widely spoken language. There is also French, which is spoken in parts of Africa and Middle East, as well as France. I still find German useful.

Then there is Russian and Japanese, and even Chinese.

If you go the classics route, I suggest Greek.

Choosing between Latin and Greek for your undergraduate degree can be a difficult decision, especially if your high school did not offer a strong foreign language program. Since your university requires three years of the same language, it may be more practical for you to choose a language that you have some prior experience with, such as German. However, if you are interested in taking Latin or Greek, it can still be a valuable addition to your undergraduate education.

From a professional standpoint, knowing a classical language can be beneficial in certain fields, such as history, literature, and law. However, for a physics/chemistry major, it may not have a direct impact on your job prospects. That being said, learning a dead language can still have many benefits, such as improving your critical thinking skills, expanding your vocabulary, and gaining a deeper understanding of the roots of modern languages. These skills can be valuable in any career, including teaching and research.

Ultimately, the decision to take Latin or Greek should be based on your personal interests and goals. If you have a passion for classical languages and want to continue studying them, then it may be worth taking the extra credit hours in undergrad. However, if you are more focused on your science major and want to use your undergraduate years to gain relevant experience and knowledge, then it may be more practical to choose a language that fulfills your university's requirements in a shorter amount of time.

In terms of your future career, it is important to keep in mind that your undergraduate degree is just one aspect of your professional journey. It is important to also gain experience through internships, research opportunities, and extracurricular activities that align with your interests and goals. This will ultimately have a larger impact on your job prospects than the specific language you choose to study in undergrad.

In summary, while Latin or Greek may not have a direct impact on your job prospects as a physics/chemistry major, it can still be a valuable addition to your education. Consider your personal interests and goals, as well as the practicality of fulfilling your university's language requirements, when making your decision. And remember, your undergraduate degree is just one step on your professional journey, so be open to exploring different opportunities and gaining experience in diverse areas. Good luck in your decision-making process!

FAQ: Should I Take Latin or Greek for Undergrad Degree?

1. Should I take Latin or Greek for my undergraduate degree?

The answer to this question depends on your individual interests and goals. Both Latin and Greek are classical languages with rich histories and cultures. If you are interested in studying ancient literature, philosophy, or history, both languages can be valuable. However, if you are pursuing a degree in a specific field, it may be more beneficial to take the language that aligns with your career goals.

2. Which language is more difficult to learn, Latin or Greek?

Again, this depends on the individual and their previous language learning experience. Generally, Latin is considered to be slightly easier to learn because its grammar is more regular and there are more resources available for learning. However, both languages have unique challenges and require dedication and practice to become proficient.

3. Will taking Latin or Greek help me improve my English skills?

Yes, studying either Latin or Greek can improve your understanding of the English language. Many English words have roots in these classical languages, and studying them can improve your vocabulary and understanding of word origins. Additionally, learning the grammar and sentence structure of Latin or Greek can enhance your understanding of English grammar.

4. Are there any practical benefits to learning Latin or Greek?

Learning Latin or Greek can have practical benefits, depending on your career goals. For example, studying Latin can be helpful for those interested in law, medicine, or other fields that use Latin terminology. Knowledge of Greek can also be beneficial in fields such as philosophy, theology, or linguistics. Additionally, learning a classical language can improve critical thinking and analytical skills.

5. Can I take both Latin and Greek for my undergraduate degree?

This depends on your university and program requirements. Some universities offer a combined classics degree that includes both languages, while others may require you to choose one or the other. It is important to check with your academic advisor to determine the requirements for your specific degree program.