Register to reply

Language and Programming Language Aero- Engineering

Share this thread:
Nugso
May3-13, 09:23 AM
PF Gold
P: 156
Hello everyone. I'm now currently studying Aeronautical Engineering(Though it's, I think, said to be equal to aerospace engineering). Since the summer is coming and I'll have like free 4 months, I've decided to learn another language(s) besides English and Fortran(Both the language we speak and programming language).

At first, I was considering learning German, but then a friend of mine told me that French would be much of help in Aero-ish engineerings.

As for programming language; I do only know Fortran and am considering learning C++, JAVA, MATLAB and if I could somehow find a proper source, ADA.

http://www.faa.itu.edu.tr/Icerik.aspx?sid=4646 ( This the undergraduate program I'm learning).

Would you mind helping me out with these?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
bigfooted
May3-13, 02:27 PM
P: 286
Do you live in Europe? Then I would definitely consider learning French. German is also important, but most Germans speak English fluently. Will you spend those 4 months in France or Germany? It's difficult to practice if you're not surrounded by native speakers.

Programming: matlab and C or C++ might come in handy.
Nugso
May3-13, 02:39 PM
PF Gold
Hi bigfooted. Thanks for your reply. If you consider Turkey a European country then I do live in Europe. I'm not sure if I can go to France and live there ~4 months. I can live in Germany as my aunt and cousins live there. So I don't think it will be such a huge deal for me to live in Germany for 3-4 months.

As for programming: I have already bought a few books for C++ and JAVA.( Alas, not C yet) and a couple of "video lectures". I'll be sure learning them in the summer.

I'm also open to any language/programming language suggestion.

Thanks again!

Mark44
May3-13, 04:08 PM
Mentor
P: 21,215
Language and Programming Language Aero- Engineering

If you're planning to learn a language anyway, French might be helpful in using CATIA, a CAD system developed by Dassault Systemes. A few people I know who work for Boeing talk about this software, and I would imagine it is used by Airbus as well.

For programming language, I would not recommend Ada. That language was required in (US) Dept of Defense contracts some years ago, but I don't believe that it still is. To the best of my knowledge, it's not used much anymore, but I could be wrong on this.

I would recommend C++ or Java. C++ is sort of a superset of C, and has to some extent surpassed pure C. Many of the available compilers will work with both C and C++.
Nugso
May3-13, 04:25 PM
PF Gold
Thank you Mark44. Yes, I'm really planning to learn a new language. It's nice to hear that French would come in handy for CATIA, as I'm learning CATIA v5.(Doubt I'll ever use it though :P)

It seems like both you and bigfooted suggested me learn C++, which means I'll try learning C++. I'm glad I bought the correct books!

Once again, thanks to both of you for answering and englightining me. Summer is comming!

Register to reply