Transferring from Physics to Engineering

In summary, the individual is a physics major with a math minor and a high GPA. They have participated in climate modeling research and an REU dealing with electron paramagnetic resonance. They are considering a joint JD/MSc or PhD program, but are also interested in engineering. However, their physics department provides better funding and support. They are looking for ways to show engineering schools their preparedness for a Masters in Engineering or Engineering Physics, such as taking engineering courses and learning relevant software languages. The individual is aware of the benefits of having a physics background in engineering.
neosoul
I'm a physics major looking forward to applying to a joint JD/MSc program OR PhD program. After participating in an internship, I realized that becoming a research scientist is not something I may want to do but I still would like to work with science. That being said, I would consider the JD/PhD before the PhD. I want to do something more hands-on like engineering. I would change my major to engineering but my physics department does a better job at funding, supporting, and preparing students. What can I do now to show engineering schools that I am prepared to work towards a Masters in Engineering or Engineering Physics?

Things about me:

-Physics major with math minor
-3.86/4.00 GPA
-Climate modeling research student at my university since freshman year
-This summer I did an REU dealing with electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR)
-I know I can get great recommendation letters from my calculus and physics teachers
-Don't know any languages yet. I will learn Python or FORTRAN (self-taught) this semester and C++ next semester (school course)Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
neosoul said:
I'm a physics major looking forward to applying to a joint JD/MSc program OR PhD program. After participating in an internship, I realized that becoming a research scientist is not something I may want to do but I still would like to work with science. That being said, I would consider the JD/PhD before the PhD. I want to do something more hands-on like engineering. I would change my major to engineering but my physics department does a better job at funding, supporting, and preparing students. What can I do now to show engineering schools that I am prepared to work towards a Masters in Engineering or Engineering Physics?

Things about me:

-Physics major with math minor
-3.86/4.00 GPA
-Climate modeling research student at my university since freshman year
-This summer I did an REU dealing with electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR)
-I know I can get great recommendation letters from my calculus and physics teachers
-Don't know any languages yet. I will learn Python or FORTRAN (self-taught) this semester and C++ next semester (school course)Thanks!

JD? Lawyer?

Why not look for an applied physics program? They're typically in the engineering department. You could also take some engineering courses through outreach programs to beef up your exposure to design vice theory before you apply to a program.

Major engineering software includes things like Matlab, Labview, LTspice, Multisim. C and C++ are probably also useful. I'm not sure how much Python or FORTRAN would play a role.

Likes neosoul
You can most definitely do an a master's in engineering after having majored in physics. I know several people who majored in physics and are now doing PhDs in things like nuclear engineering, materials science, applied physics, and electrical engineering. If you take a few classes in the field of engineering you are interested you will be very prepared to go into engineering. Having a physics background is very good when it comes to engineering. I have friends who majored in physics and mechanical engineering and they did extremely well in their engineering courses.

Likes neosoul

What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles governing the natural world, while engineering is the application of these principles to design and build useful technologies. In other words, physics is the science behind engineering.

Why would someone want to transfer from physics to engineering?

Some people may find that they have a strong interest in applying their knowledge of physics to real-world problems and creating innovative solutions. Others may find that they enjoy the hands-on and practical aspects of engineering more than the theoretical aspects of physics.

What skills from physics are transferable to engineering?

Physics and engineering share many fundamental skills, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical analysis. Additionally, physics provides a strong foundation in understanding the laws of nature and how they can be manipulated to achieve specific goals, which is crucial in the field of engineering.

Are there any challenges when transferring from physics to engineering?

As with any academic or career transition, there may be challenges when transferring from physics to engineering. Some of these challenges may include adjusting to a more hands-on and practical approach, developing new skills, and adapting to a different academic or work culture.

What steps can I take to successfully transfer from physics to engineering?

To successfully transfer from physics to engineering, it is important to research and understand the specific requirements and curriculum of the engineering program you are interested in. You may also want to take relevant courses in engineering or gain hands-on experience through internships or research projects. Networking with professionals in the field can also provide valuable insights and opportunities.