Avionics Programming Learning Materials?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in learning about the Ada language for avionics but having trouble finding resources. The conversation then shifts to discussing the use of C in flight critical equipment and the importance of understanding the application rather than just the language. Resources are recommended for learning about avionics communication protocols, software verification standards, and embedded programming. The individual's background is also clarified as a freshman in college.
RooksAndBooks
Gold Member
I'm an aspiring aerospace engineer. I know that Ada is a language used in many planes today, but I can't find anything to learn about Ada for avionics--I couldn't find books or tutorials. Do any of you guys have any recommendations on how to go about this? I'm very interested in teaching myself but I can't find any learning materials.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can find materials on learning the Ada language, but not on how to use Ada in an airplane.

a LOT of code in flight critical equipment is written in C.

That being said I wouldn't worry about the language, worry about the application

donpacino said:
a LOT of code in flight critical equipment is written in C.

That being said I wouldn't worry about the language, worry about the application

I can find tutorials on any programming language on the Internet, but basically what I'm asking for is a resource that will teach me how to program in (language) in a way that an airplane would be able to understand as well as how I would go about installing it on avionics (as well as debugging). I'm worried about how to put it on airplane avionics, not how to learn a programming language.

what exactly do you mean?
are you referring to flight code for a hobbyist UAV, or flight code for a boeing 737

donpacino said:
what exactly do you mean?
are you referring to flight code for a hobbyist UAV, or flight code for a boeing 737

Both would be nice but I'm much more concerned about a Boeing 737.

so the hobbyist stuff is easy. go to a website like aeroquad, download the source code, and examine it!As far as large commercial/military aircraft, the amount of software on those thing is immense. We're talking hundreds of thousands of line of code for the entire aircraft. To be honest I'm not entirely sure where you can find resources on those. Everything i have learned is on the job.
To start you can look up arinc 429 and AFDX, those are commonly used avionics communications protocols.
look up do-178, which is the software verification standard that avionics software has to meet.

note: Do NOT just read through them, you'll be bored very quickly. I would recommend trying to make two systems talk through AFDX or arinic 429 (or other avionics com protocols). That would go VERY far to make you look good on a resume

I would also try to get familiar with common embedded RTOS and their uses
look up the concept of minor and major frames

work on embedded electronics

Likes RooksAndBooks
in general avionics software can be considered very robust, 100% tested (and I mean 100% tested) embedded electronics software

Likes RooksAndBooks
donpacino said:
work on embedded electronics

Hmm, so would this help? If so, how much?

Rio Larsen said:
Hmm, so would this help? If so, how much?
if you want to learn embedded programming, yeah probably

quick question, and this is one that i should have asked. What is your background. Are you in high school, college? if so, what's your major

donpacino said:
if you want to learn embedded programming, yeah probably

quick question, and this is one that i should have asked. What is your background. Are you in high school, college? if so, what's your major

I'm a freshman in college (14 years old). What I was trying to ask was whether or not that book would help me in any way with avionics programming.

1. What is avionics programming?

Avionics programming is the process of developing software and computer programs that control and monitor the electronic systems of an aircraft. These systems include communication, navigation, flight control, and monitoring equipment. Avionics programming is essential for the safe and efficient operation of aircraft.

2. What are some key topics covered in avionics programming learning materials?

Some key topics covered in avionics programming learning materials include programming languages such as C and C++, programming techniques specific to avionics systems, understanding avionics hardware and software architectures, and debugging and testing avionics software.

3. Are there any prerequisites for learning avionics programming?

Yes, there are typically prerequisites for learning avionics programming, such as a basic understanding of computer programming and knowledge of the aviation industry. Some courses or materials may also require a background in electrical engineering or computer science.

4. How can avionics programming learning materials be beneficial for my career?

Avionics programming learning materials can be highly beneficial for your career as they provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to develop software for avionics systems. This is a specialized field with a high demand for skilled professionals, and having avionics programming skills can open up job opportunities in the aerospace and aviation industries.

5. Are there any specific tools or software used in avionics programming?

Yes, there are several tools and software used in avionics programming, including integrated development environments (IDEs) such as Eclipse and Visual Studio, simulation tools for testing and debugging, and programming tools specific to avionics systems such as ARINC 661. These tools and software are essential for developing and testing avionics software efficiently and effectively.