Right to strike for government employee

by MaxManus
Tags: employee, government, strike
MaxManus
May11-13, 10:12 AM
P: 297
Why doesn't the government employee in USA have the right to strike when other employees in the usa have the right?
Phys.Org News Partner Social sciences news on Phys.org
Study finds law dramatically curbing need for speed
Newlyweds, be careful what you wish for
Can new understanding avert tragedy?
russ_watters
May11-13, 10:45 AM
Mentor
P: 21,999
I don't think that's true. What makes you think so?
MaxManus
May11-13, 12:21 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_federal_employees_strike
No, per 5 USC 7311, An individual may not accept or hold a position in the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia if he- (1) advocates the overthrow of our constitutional form of government; (2) is a member of an organization that he knows advocates the overthrow of our constitutional form of government; (3) participates in a strike, or asserts the right to strike, against the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia; or (4) is a member of an organization of employees of the Government of the United States or of individuals employed by the government of the District of Columbia that he knows asserts the right to strike against the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia.

Office_Shredder
May11-13, 09:42 PM
Mentor
P: 4,499

Right to strike for government employee

I never knew this. I always thought that Reagan firing the FAA controllers was on the basis of something like 'safety related jobs aren't allowed to strike', not such a broad overarching rule
enosis_
May12-13, 12:39 PM
P: 120
Quote Quote by MaxManus View Post
Why doesn't the government employee in USA have the right to strike when other employees in the usa have the right?
I would think public safety would be the first concern. I've often wondered why Government employees need union representation? Doesn't the Government typically follow labor laws?
russ_watters
May12-13, 09:32 PM
Mentor
P: 21,999
I misunderstood the OP: didn't realize you meant federal government only.

In either case, insofar as a "strike" is just a bunch of people walking off a job, as a practical matter it can't really be outlawed. However, at the same time if you don't show up for work, your boss can just fire you, like Reagan did. Not sure that it really mattered that what the FAA workers did violated a law.
I always thought that Reagan firing the FAA controllers was on the basis of something like 'safety related jobs aren't allowed to strike'...
How 'bout: "you annoy me: you're fired!"?
MarneMath
May13-13, 05:34 AM
P: 423
Quote Quote by enosis_ View Post
I would think public safety would be the first concern. I've often wondered why Government employees need union representation? Doesn't the Government typically follow labor laws?
From my experience, the union has mostly functioned as a lobbying group. Since we can't strike or argue over pay, they use the fact they represent a little over a quarter million employees as their bargaining chip. As to how effective this is for us, I have no idea.
enosis_
May13-13, 08:50 AM
Quote Quote by MarneMath View Post
From my experience, the union has mostly functioned as a lobbying group. Since we can't strike or argue over pay, they use the fact they represent a little over a quarter million employees as their bargaining chip. As to how effective this is for us, I have no idea.
I thought there were more Government union employees than 250,000? Don't the postal union (AFL-CIO) members number nearly that many?

http://www.unionfacts.com/union/American_Postal_Workers
MaxManus
May13-13, 03:51 PM
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
I misunderstood the OP: didn't realize you meant federal government
In either case, insofar as a "strike" is just a bunch of people walking off a job, as a practical matter it can't really be outlawed. However, at the same time if you don't show up for work, your boss can just fire you, like Reagan did.
Yes but that is an argument against strikes in general, the question is why federal employees can't strike.
MaxManus
May13-13, 03:54 PM
Quote Quote by enosis_ View Post
Not sure what you mean with public safety, is it more important for the safety a washington bureaucrat does not strike than doctors? The government employees doesn't need striking as in we need water to survide but striking power helps to increase wages.
enosis_
May13-13, 03:57 PM
Not sure what you mean with public safety, is it more important for the safety a washington bureaucrat does not strike than doctors? The government employees doesn't need striking as in we need water to survide but striking power helps to increase wages.
Are doctors unionized?
enosis_
May13-13, 03:59 PM
Wouldn't a walk out of Government workers cause the Government not to function?

Register to reply