Register to reply

Volume bounded above by cylinder z = 4 - x^2, x^2 + y^2 = 4 on sides,xy-plane bottom

by VinnyCee
Tags: bounded, cylinder, sides, volume, xyplane
Share this thread:
VinnyCee
Apr13-05, 07:29 PM
P: 492
Here is the problem:

Find the volume of the solid that is bounded above by the cylinder [tex]z = 4 - x^2[/tex], on the sides by the cylinder [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 4[/tex], and below by the xy-plane.

Here is what I have:

[tex]\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt{4 - x^2}}^{\sqrt{4 - x^2}}\int_{0}^{4 - x^2}\;dz\;dy\;dx\;=\;12\pi[/tex]

Is that correct? I didn't post the many steps for integration, but the integral calulation is correct, I just need to know if I set up the integral right. Thanks again
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
HallsofIvy
Apr13-05, 09:06 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,552
Yes, that's correct. Of course, it would be easier to do the integration in cylindrial coordinates.
VinnyCee
Apr13-05, 11:25 PM
P: 492
Thanks for the double checking! The next problem uses this same integral and assumes that [tex]f\left(x, y, z\right) = \sqrt{x\;y\;z}[/tex]. Then it says to setup the integral to find the average value of the function within that solid.

Here is what I have:

[tex]\frac{1}{12\pi}\;\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt{4 - x^2}}^{\sqrt{4 - x^2}}\int_{0}^{4 - x^2}\;\sqrt{x\;y\;z}\;dz\;dy\;dx[/tex]

Does that look right?

Register to reply