Find the volume of the solid bound by the three coordinate planes

chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached. This was straightforward. I am looking at an alternative approach hence sharing the post for insight.
Relevant Equations
Double integration .
1701948861646.png

Also,

$$V=\dfrac{1}{4} \int_4^0 \left[\int_{2-0.5y}^2 (4-2x-y) dx\right] dy$$

$$V=\dfrac{1}{4} \int_4^0\left [4x-x^2-xy]^2_{2-0.5y} \right] dy$$

$$V=\dfrac{1}{4} \int_4^0 \left [(4-2y)-(4(2-0.5y)-(2-0.5y)^2-(2-0.5y)y] \right] dy$$

$$V=\dfrac{1}{4} \int_4^0 \left [(4-2y)-(2-0.5y)^2 \right] dy$$

$$V=\dfrac{1}{4} \int_4^0 \left [\dfrac {-1}{4} y^2\right] dy =\left[\dfrac{-y^3}{48}\right]_4^0=0+\dfrac{64}{48}=\dfrac{4}{3}$$

Bingo!! :cool:cheers any insight welcome.
...below is my first attempt that is clearly wrong...i corrected it my final post above... i had used wrong limits on my working...

1701949020442.png
1701949056007.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By the divergence theorem,[tex]\begin{split}
\int_V 1\,dV &= \frac13 \int_V \nabla \cdot \mathbf{x}\,dV \\
&= \frac13 \int_{\partial V} \mathbf{x} \cdot \mathbf{n}\,dS \\
&= \frac13\underbrace{\int_{x=0} -x \,dy\,dz}_{=0} +
\frac13\underbrace{\int_{y=0} -y \,dx\,dz}_{=0} +
\frac13\underbrace{\int_{z=0} -z \,dx\,dy}_{=0} +
\frac13\int_A \mathbf{x} \cdot \mathbf{n}\,dS \\
&= \frac13\int_A (2u, 4v, 1 - u - v) \cdot ((2,0,-1) \times (0,4,-1))\,du\,dv \\
&= \frac13\int_A 2(2u, 4v, 1-u-v) \cdot (2,1,4)\,du\,dv \\
&= \frac{8}{3} \int_0^1 \int_0^{1-u}1\,dv\,du \\
&= \frac{4}{3}.\end{split}[/tex]

• Informative
Likes fresh_42 and chwala
The plane 2x+ y + 4z = 4 intersects
- the x-axis (y=z=0) when 2x = 4, i.e. at (2, 0, 0);
- the y-axis (x=z=0) when y = 4, i.e. at (0, 4, 0);
- the z-axis (x=y=0) when 4z = 4, i.e. at (0, 0, 1).

The shape is a pyramid of height (z) 1 with a base (on xy plane) of area ##\frac 12## x 2 x 4 = 4.

The volume of a pyramid is ##\frac 13## x base-area x height = ##\frac 13## x 4 x 1 = ##\frac 43##.

• Informative
Likes chwala

1. How do you find the volume of the solid bound by the three coordinate planes?

To find the volume of the solid bound by the three coordinate planes, you simply multiply the lengths of the three sides together. Since the solid is a cube, all three sides are equal in length. Therefore, the volume is given by V = side length * side length * side length = side length^3.

2. What are the coordinate planes?

The coordinate planes are the XY-plane (where the z-coordinate is 0), the XZ-plane (where the y-coordinate is 0), and the YZ-plane (where the x-coordinate is 0). These planes intersect at the origin (0,0,0) and divide 3-dimensional space into 8 octants.

3. Why is the solid bound by the three coordinate planes a cube?

The solid bound by the three coordinate planes is a cube because it is formed by the intersection of the XY-plane, XZ-plane, and YZ-plane. Since each plane is perpendicular to the other two, the resulting solid is a cube with equal sides along the x, y, and z-axes.

4. What is the formula for the volume of a cube?

The formula for the volume of a cube is V = side length * side length * side length = side length^3. This formula applies to any cube, including the one bound by the three coordinate planes.

5. Can the volume of the solid bound by the three coordinate planes be negative?

No, the volume of the solid bound by the three coordinate planes cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the amount of space enclosed by a solid, and it is always a positive value or zero. In the case of the cube formed by the coordinate planes, the volume is a positive value equal to the side length cubed.